[Duplicate / Split] Python2 Workflows

I've installed new versions of convert case, password generator, etc. from Vitor's post but still running into issues. For example, when I type in "cc some sentence," I don't see the options to change case, instead I see the standard Alfred search options (search google, etc.). The same happens with password generator.

I am under the impression that all I needed to do to get broken workflows to start working again was to get their latest versions. Is there another step?

Edited by gniting
8 hours ago, vitor said:

I’ve now merged yours with the original.

Thanks. I appreciate that. If only this much effort was put into ensuring workflows were regularly updated, we would not find ourselves here.

8 hours ago, vitor said:

Yes, you have to reinstall Python 2. Everything is explained in the top post.

Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. Installing a decade old piece of software that has been deprecated in order to keep functionality going is not indicative of a strong underlying software arch. The Alfred devs knew this change was coming and should have done enough to warn the workflow devs and users that their installs will break. I heard nothing.. and now it's scramble time.

For now, I'll remove the workflows that require python2 and carry on. If it becomes too painful, I'll (unfortunately) start to look at alternatives to Alfred (e.g. Raycast). I've been an Alfred powerpack user/supporter since 2011, so this is truly heartbreaking for me to even consider. But IMO, this could have been avoided 100% by active platform and community management.

Edited by gniting

Respectfully, that is unreasonable and unfair.

With only six posts in the forum, you don’t seem to be a regular. Otherwise, it is unlikely you’d have that view regarding Alfred’s community management. Every post in this forum—the official venue for discussion—is read, and it’s rare one does not get a reply.

This could not have been completely avoided. (Most) Workflows are by third-parties and Alfred is flexible, it makes no demands over what language those people develop in. Many chose Python 2 because it is popular, shipped with macOS (Workflow developers tend to value minimal setup needed for users), and it continues to work. An overwhelming number of those Workflows were made when Python 2 was still supported and they weren’t updated (which is also up to the individual developer and contributors) because they didn’t need to be.

Everyone knew Python 2 was going away; nobody expected it to happen in a point release. There’s little point in continuing to discuss that. Apple decided it and it is done. This wouldn’t have been disruptive if the Python team hadn’t botched the transition, but that too is done. They survived and learned. That is not in the slightest a reflection of Alfred’s underlying architecture, which uses the tools Apple provides.

Finally, this is not scrambling. The workaround has been pondered and developed in a way to be the least disruptive to most people, getting them up and running fast without continuous futzing. The instructions install Python 2 in a self-contained fashion, meaning you can get rid of it easily and at any time. Ideally those Workflows will be ported, but that’s outside Alfred’s sole direct control. The community is discussing how to proceed. Reinstalling Python 2 and updating Workflows by request should help prioritise those the community cares the most for.

I split the conversation into its own again because it’s getting too off topic and I want that thread to remain focused.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

With only six posts in the forum, you don’t seem to be a regular. Otherwise, it is unlikely you’d have that view regarding Alfred’s community management. Every post in this forum—the official venue for discussion—is read, and it’s rare one does not get a reply.

The number of posts I make in a community does not indicate whether I do or do not participate. It's a very bad assumption on your part that only people who "post" are participating. Reading is also a form of participation.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

Everyone knew Python 2 was going away; nobody expected it to happen in a point release.

Are you saying that the core dev team had no clue this was coming and that this caught everyone completely by surprise? Isn't that exactly why Apple does beta releases?

1 hour ago, vitor said:

Finally, this is not scrambling. The workaround has been pondered and developed in a way to be the least disruptive to most people, getting them up and running fast without continuous futzing. The instructions install Python 2 in a self-contained fashion, meaning you can get rid of it easily and at any time. Ideally those Workflows will be ported, but that’s outside Alfred’s sole direct control. The community is discussing how to proceed. Reinstalling Python 2 and updating Workflows by request should help prioritise those the community cares the most for.

Your opinion and you are entitled to it. We happen to have differing opinions in this case. Yes, the community is not controlled by Alfred, but the platform is. And that is where some sort of check/balance could have been implemented to avoid running into this. Again, my opinion.

1 hour ago, vitor said:

I split the conversation into its own again because it’s getting too off topic and I want that thread to remain focused.

Posts are merged, unmerged, split up...It's good to be the king! I posted a single reply and you thought it was getting off topic? A post made on a discussion where a dissenting view is published is deemed off topic and you then you unanimously decide to remove (sorry split) it? Excellent community building skills. And you wonder why people like me are losing faith in Alfred.

My post was meant for the community to consume, not for you to shove around as you see fit. If you disagree, be open about it and post your differing opinions for everyone to read/comment keeping the threaded context in place.

I won't be engaging in this thread anymore. It is pointless since criticism is not received well and draconian actions seem to be the norm for mods. Hell, I won't be surprised if this post now gets me banned!

Sigh. I am also unwilling to reinstall Python 2. I am also disappointed by how all of this is playing out. I, also, have installed Raycast and am tinkering with it while confronting what the bottom line line is for my uses of Alfred’s functionality. Mostly, I’m saddened by the confusion and the conflict. Alfred sits at a very odd spot between extremely technical users and technically-proficient-but-still-just-users-users, and the goodwill and support of the community has been such an important part, however fragile it is proving to be. 

1 hour ago, gniting said:

The number of posts I make in a community does not indicate

I agree! Which is why I prefaced it with qualifiers such as “seem” and “unlikely”.

Isn't that exactly why Apple does beta releases

The beta which introduced this change was announced only recently. Again, no one predicted they would deprecate Python 2 in a point release. They handled PHP better.

Posts are merged, unmerged, split up...

I do not understand your anger. You didn’t post in the right place to begin with and it’s back where it started. Nothing has been taken away from you.

I posted a single reply and you thought it was getting off topic?

No, my reply was getting off topic. And because it was safe to assume you would want to respond, I didn’t want to derail that thread which is for user requests of Workflows to fix.

You may disagree, but I don’t like when I’m subscribed to a thread and keep getting off topic notifications. I aim to extend that courtesy to others. If you frequent the forum, you’ll know I’m consistent about it.

My post was meant for the community to consume

Which is exactly what is happening. The thread is still visible and at the top of new conversations in the main forum page. If anything, it’s getting more visibility. Just now it got another reply by another user. All I wanted was to avoid derailing a thread where I need to pay attention to every post to be able to help effectively.

It is pointless since criticism is not received well (…) draconian actions seem to be the norm for mods.

That is patently not true, and verifiable by anyone who frequents the forum. I am engaging you in good faith and would appreciate the same courtesy.

Hell, I won't be surprised if this post now gets me banned!

That is not how this community works. To my knowledge, only spammers have ever been banned. But I will ask you to moderate your tone if you do decide to engage further. Alfred aims to foster a friendly community.

52 minutes ago, lutefish said:

I am also unwilling to reinstall Python 2.

Which is a valid choice. But please understand you are in the minority. I have always been upfront that the ideal outcome is for those Workflows to be updated but that requires the creators to do it. Or for the community to help. Both are happening as we speak and everyone is welcome to contribute.

Edited by vitor