Parallels - How to Launch Folder in Windows Explorer

I use Alfred to launch folders in Finder without an issue. How can I modify the behaviour to launch the folder in Windows Explorer? How can I set it up so that I can choose whether Finder or Windows Explorer opens?

I need both options as I have different workflows depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks

You want to open a folder from the macOS side with Windows Explorer via Parallels? That doesn’t seem feasible, but if it is, this is a question for Parallels. For this to work at all, they have to provide some programatic way to allow it. If they do, they’re the ones who’ll know how it’s done. Once you have the information, we can help you integrate the behaviour in an Alfred Workflow.

I just want to make sure we mean the same thing. I always work in the MacOS side; Windows is operating in coherence mode (so any Windows software has its own window on the Mac desktop and looks like a Mac app. For example - if I launch Alfred, type Outlook, a window for Outlook opens).

At the moment I do the following to open a folder:

1. cmd space (launches Alfred)
  2. type in folder name eg - banks
  3. Alfred shows me a list of results (the first item is the folder 'banks')
  4. I press enter
  5. a Finder window opens showing the contents of my folder 'banks'

I'm hoping I can do similar steps but have the choice whether Finder or File Explorer opens (or use a keyword in the Alfred command OR something else?)

Please note that if I type Finder, Finder is the first option in the results; if I type Explorer, File Explorer is the first option in the list. ie - I can open either Mac or Windows apps using Alfred. When searching for a folder though, there seems to be preset code that launches Finder when I select a folder.

Does this help? Do I still need to contact Parallels?

But can you even open that banks folder with Windows Explorer at all?

5 hours ago, Foxy said:

Do I still need to contact Parallels?

Yes. Like I said:

On 4/25/2022 at 2:13 PM, vitor said:

For this to work at all, they have to provide some programatic way to allow it.

I don’t use Parallels. I don’t know if they support that functionality and it’s their side which needs to. Unless there’s someone on this forum who uses Parallels and knows the answer (and sees this post), you’ll need to contact them (or search their documentation) to know.

Yes - Finder and File Explorer look exactly the same and access all the same files (I have attached screen shots so you can see the similarities). All the operations on a file in File Explorer work the same way as Finder eg - double click a file to open it, right mouse click to access other options such as 'open', 'open with', 'move to bin', 'share', 'properties' or 'get info' etc.

Interestingly,  right mouse click on a file in Finder, also shows some Windows operations eg - 'reveal in Windows' (sorry, I couldn't get a screenshot of this). This opens the same folder shown in Finder, but in the File Explorer window (as shown in the screen shots). Maybe there is a way to invoke that command using an Alfred workflow?

Finder folder.jpg

Windows folder.jpg

3 hours ago, Foxy said:

Maybe there is a way to invoke that command using an Alfred workflow?

And to do that, Parallels needs to support it. Nothing has changed from the first time I’ve pointed that out in the first reply.

I don’t know why you’re resistant to getting the answer from Parallels, but until you do I cannot help you implement it.

I hope you realise that the tone of your reply suggests nothing but irritation with me - and that I feel like I have completely inconvenienced you?

You commented that you don't use Parallels. I was merely providing more information so you could become a little more familiar with the types of processes that work and what it looks like on the Mac. I also thought it might be useful for other people who use this forum.

I never said that I wasn't prepared to contact Parallels; though thinking twice about posting here again :(

@Foxy What I think @vitor is trying to convey is that while the Parallels and Finder windows are visually slightly similar, the underpinnings of the two are very different. Without the input of Parallels, any of us non-Parallels users would just be taking wild guesses that won't help your idea progress. 

I can assure you that Vítor has no ill intent by reiterating that, after you asked a question none of us can answer ("Maybe there is a way to invoke that command using an Alfred workflow?") 

Once you've gone forth and found out as much as you can about Parallels, we can help you with the last step of invoking the command using Alfred, but you first need to find out if it's 1. possible and 2. how it can be done :)

Cheers,
Vero

Right, it’s exactly what @Vero said.

@Foxy I apologise for having come across as rude to you. My intent was to be clear. I see your good intentions on providing more surface level information, but I wanted to be unambiguous that to give you a definitive answer we need deeper technical information.

I have since thought of something you can try: Open File Action. But I don’t know if that’ll work. It depends on if Parallels makes macOS apps which invoke the Windows apps (I think it does or used to) and how those work in practice.

Dear @Vero and @vitor, thanks for your replies. It just shows how easy it is to misinterpret the written word - being able to see someone, and listen to their voice makes such a difference when trying to communication these types of concepts.

I was providing the information to show 1. that the User Interface of both OS apps is quite similar, and 2. that there are some commands that invoke Windows apps from the Mac OS - and that I thought they might be usable.

Anyway, I have taken a little while to get back to you as I have been tinkering. I already had a workflow to open a folder in Finder (credit to Sam Lu at www.samvlu.com). I have adjusted this and can now open a folder in File Explorer from the Mac OS. Yep - it's working! 👍

I'm not sure how (or where) to load a workflow so have described it below:

1. trigger - hotkey
  2. input - file filter (set 'basic setup', 'file types' to public.folder; 'fields' to kMDItemDisplayName, kMDItemAlternateNames, kMDItemFinderComment - all with 'value' = {query})
  3. action = open file (drag File Explorer application into 'open with')

I'm happy to share the actual workflow if you let me know how to do it.

Thanks

@Foxy