Append to nvALT journal

Just an updated version of Marc Abramowitz's Append to nvALT journal extension to work for Alfred v2.

Marc's description...

I have this extension mapped to the keyword “nj” (for “nvALT Journal”). I activate Alfred and type “nj <text>” and the extension automatically opens up nvALT and makes sure that there’s a note with the current date in the form “YYYY-mm-dd” and then appends my text to the end of the note with a 24 hour timestamp in front of it. It then switches back to the application that I was previously in so I can go immediately back to whatever I was doing.

More on nvALT → http://brettterpstra.com/projects/nvalt/

Download extension here → http://jrhd.me/MDZN

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious: how would you alter the script to prepend the addition to the journal rather than append?

You wouldn't try this workflow http://asmodified.net/alfredworkflows/ - not my work but the nt keyword will do what you want, or whichever adds to "scratchpad" all can be changed. I think this latest version goes overboard with the each keyword for a different file when there are great scripts that can do adding to a different file in the same directory by just going >>filename at the end of your note but anyways I digress. You should be good with that one. If not check out QuickMDEntry on github by Rob Trew, the most amazing script I have ever seen for all your nvalt + markdown goodness. Both of these solutions don't require gui scripting or replicating key hits etc... 

Very strange. I just deleted the extension completely and reinstalled and working fine on my end.

Although it should be checked by default, make sure the "with space" checkmark is checked per below...

double_click.png

space_check.png

I tried that and the item in the Preference Pane was checked. I also tried deleting and reinstalling the workflow but still, it seems to cut away the blanks. Any other ideas?

Are you also using nvALT v2.2b (104)? Could you post a screenshot of your nvALT preferences? Maybe it has to do with the preferences of the app.

Edited by phil

I tried that and the item in the Preference Pane was checked. I also tried deleting and reinstalling the workflow but still, it seems to cut away the blanks. Any other ideas?

Are you also using nvALT v2.2b (104)? Could you post a screenshot of your nvALT preferences? Maybe it has to do with the preferences of the app.

Very strange. The workflow is just running Applescript. I was using version 2.2b (104) but upgraded yesterday to 2.2b (105) and the workflow still works.

Nothing special in preferences other than storing notes as text files...

nvalt_1.png

nvalt_2.png

nvalt_3.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
9 hours ago, jeremycherfas said:

At last, after lots of hunting, I have a script that does what I need. Not to see whether I can modify it do add a timestamp and a newline.

Thanks.

Hey Jeremy,

I replied to your PM, but I'll reply here to for others. Adding a timestamp is a great idea! And I just updated my workflow to do that.

Thanks!