Automatically switch Output and Input sound

Hey Guys, I had an idea but I need help from people who knows AppleScript.

Today we have a common scenario of people working from home and sometimes need to change the input or output from a device to another.

In my case, when I go record a podcast (as a guest) or joining to a meeting I need to manually set Output to "S43ZSCLQ30" (My bluetooth earphone) and Input to my "Shure MV51" (my professional microphone). Every time I need to manually do this.

My point is: I know it's possible to automate this by a Hotkey or even setting a Word > Enter because I already did that with this Workflow on GitHub.

Today my point is the ability to set a word or hotkey and the action will be:
set S43ZSCLQ30 as Output

set Shure MV51 as Input

and when press the hotkey (or word) again both back to MacBook Air Speakers/Microphone (meaning I have the job done).

I found some AppleScripts on the web but I don't have much knowledge to understand the code to make it works.

Somebody can help?

Below some codes I got it.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/217148/using-apple-script-to-manage-sound-output-selection

tell application "System Preferences" to activate
tell application "System Events"
  get properties
  tell process "System Preferences"
    click menu item "Sound" of menu "View" of menu bar 1
    delay 2
    set theRows to every row of table 1 of scroll area 1 of ¬
      tab group 1 of window "sound"
    set theOutputs to {} as list
    repeat with aRow in theRows
      copy (value of text field 1 of aRow as text) to the end of theOutputs
    end repeat
    tell application "Finder"
      activate
      set desiredOutput to display dialog ¬
        "Choose Sound Output: " buttons theOutputs default button "SoundSticks"
    end tell
      if (value of text field 1 of aRow as text) is equal to ¬
        (button returned of desiredOutput as text) then
        set selected of aRow to true
        exit repeat
      end if
    end repeat
  end tell
end tell
tell application "System Preferences" to quit

tell application "System Preferences" to activate
tell application "System Events"
  get properties
  tell process "System Preferences"
    click menu item "Sound" of menu "View" of menu bar 1
    delay 2
    set theRows to every row of table 1 of scroll area 1 of ¬
      tab group 1 of window "sound"
    set theOutputs to {} as list
      if (value of text field 1 of aRow as text) ¬
        is equal to "SoundSticks" then
        set selected of aRow to true
        exit repeat
      end if
    end repeat
  end tell
end tell
tell application "System Preferences" to quit

12 hours ago, Saez said:

but I need help from people who knows AppleScript.

If you don’t have a working solution yet, don’t get married to a specific language. In particular, you’re using GUI automation to control System Preferences, meaning the approach is likely to break once you update to macOS Ventura because the app is being revamped.

There are Workflows to switch input sources as well as command-line tools which you can use and will likely continue to work with the update. The latter should be easier to work with too, since you’re likely to be able to switch to the specific sources you want with a single line in your Workflow.

13 minutes ago, vitor said:

@Saez I don’t understand the post reaction. I can try to guide you further, but I need specifics on what is tripping you up.

Oh, sorry @vitor. I understand that wasn't possible that's why I reacted sad haha.

My point is:
Natively, I mean by blocks on workflow, Alfred can't switch an input or output sound device in Apple Preferences > Sound. Right?

Also, it's impossible to Mute or Unmute "natively" the microphone of mac, only the speakers.

Right. To solve the "problem" of microphone I found on the web how to mute and unmute microphone by AppleScript and I created this workflow: https://github.com/gustavosaez/Mute-UnMute-Microphone---Alfred-Workflow

Simple, easy, and just press control+option+command+M and I put the microphone to zero and if I press the same keys combination the microphone volume goes to 70% (I define the numbers on applescript).

I duplicate this workflow and named IO-Sound because that's what I want to change.

As I show you in the screenshot, the process will be the same: control+option+command+run an AppleScript (or any other script that make it happens) and a Notification confirms that my Input and Output devices were changed to X and Y.

Precisely I want to find a way to:
When I press control+option+command+I my Output goes to "S43ZSCLQ30" (My bluetooth earphone) and Input goes to my "Shure MV51" (my professional microphone)

And when I press control+option+command+again the script switch de devices to MacBook Air Speakers/Microphone built-in.

I don't know if I was clearly now. If not, please, tell me how can I explain better.

359617289_AlfredPreferences-CleanShot22-07-2022at14_18.45@2x.thumb.png.021730ab8eeb5d41dca9c402aace5b32.png

I understand the solution you’re pursuing. But like I said you’re making something which is a workaround, GUI automation which is likely to break on Ventura. Wouldn’t you rather a more robust solution which has a better chance of surviving through (at least) the next update?

Furthermore, the command-line tool I linked you to seems to do exactly what you want, is maintained, relatively popular, and should allow you to switch sources with literally one line of code. So why pursue the long winded slow solution which is likely to break instead of switching to the quick robust solution which is likely to continue working?

28 minutes ago, vitor said:

I understand the solution you’re pursuing. But like I said you’re making something which is a workaround, GUI automation which is likely to break on Ventura. Wouldn’t you rather a more robust solution which has a better chance of surviving through (at least) the next update?

Furthermore, the command-line tool I linked you to seems to do exactly what you want, is maintained, relatively popular, and should allow you to switch sources with literally one line of code. So why pursue the long winded slow solution which is likely to break instead of switching to the quick robust solution which is likely to continue working?

Now I got it. I will check if it's solve my wishes. Thank you so much @vitor