Using Copy or Move Last Download to Here Workflow

Need help with a workflow

http://www.packal.org/workflow/copy-or-move-last-download-here

Hello everyone 
I am using this workflow for quite sometime now. I just want help of the community to adjust this a bit. Right now this workflow copy/moves either the last downloaded file or every file in the download folder. I need this workflow to ask me every time as to how many files i need to copy/move. Is this possible?

• vitor changed the title to Using Copy or Move Last Download to Here Workflow

Seems like everything there can be remade with Automation Tasks.

Specifically:

• Files and Folders → List Folder Contents
  • Files and Folders → Get Path to Frontmost Finder Window
  • Files and Folders → Move Path With the Finder (or Copy Path With the Finder)
  • Arguments Processing → Get Leading Arguments

You can use the Keyword Input to ask for more information (like the number of paths to move/copy) and Arg and Vars Utility to save information (Using Variables in Workflows).

On 9/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, vitor said:

Seems like everything there can be remade with Automation Tasks.

Specifically:

• Files and Folders → List Folder Contents
  • Files and Folders → Get Path to Frontmost Finder Window
  • Files and Folders → Move Path With the Finder (or Copy Path With the Finder)
  • Arguments Processing → Get Leading Arguments

You can use the Keyword Input to ask for more information (like the number of paths to move/copy) and Arg and Vars Utility to save information (Using Variables in Workflows).

This seems like a solution. But I am a total non-technical person here. Can you guide me more precisely so that I can build this for myself 

4 hours ago, Shahrukh said:

Can you guide me more precisely so that I can build this for myself

I have linked to the documentation of the exact objects. You can also check the guides and tutorials for creating Workflows and/or check the Getting Started section of the palette (on the right in the Workflow editor) which will guide you through the basics.

It’s difficult to be more precise without building it myself, and you mentioned you want to do it. The above are all the resources you need (with some redundancy). We can further help with specific questions you have throughout the process.

22 hours ago, vitor said:

I have linked to the documentation of the exact objects. You can also check the guides and tutorials for creating Workflows and/or check the Getting Started section of the palette (on the right in the Workflow editor) which will guide you through the basics.

It’s difficult to be more precise without building it myself, and you mentioned you want to do it. The above are all the resources you need (with some redundancy). We can further help with specific questions you have throughout the process.

I tried what you advised. I am hell lot of away from achieving the desired results. Haha. I am attaching my workflow that I tried building. Help is possible . thanks

Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 1.19.27 AM.png

For a start, you seem to have reversed the Move Path… and Get Path… actions and neither have you configured the Get Path… action. Further, you have not added the Arguments Processing… action referred to in Vitor’s post.

I know it’s not always easy when you’re trying to understand how to get a workflow working but there really is no better way of learning to make use of Alfred than to keep at it, to read the help pages very carefully and just to keep experimenting. If you run the debugger you will learn a lot about what is working and what is not working.

To be honest, you’ll learn a lot less by coming back here when you have imperfectly followed instructions and not done some in depth research on the help pages. Of course, people will still help you here—but in the longer term you’ll benefit so much more by bashing away at the thing yourself until it finally submits to you and just works….which, incidentally, is very rewarding.

Sorry if this sounds critical: it’s not intended that way. But don’t always rely on others to spoon feed you because you’ll get so much more from solving these problems yourself. I do know…it’s how I started!

Sorry—lecture over! 😀

Stephen

Hi

I have tried building this again after help from Vitor on another workflow. I think I am on the final stages. having issues in moving files now. 

Any suggestions please.

Thanks!!

And also I don't know how to add a workflow file here that's why I am attaching a screenshot .

Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 7.00.48 PM.png

11 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

Are you able to try with a different browser? It downloaded for me using Firefox without any problem, for example.

Stephen

Tried with firefox too. Same error. Transfer.sh was not working earlier for me too when i was trying to upload the workflow 

4 hours ago, vitor said:

This one required an extra step to override the variable for the destination. I’ll look into making that simpler and more complete later on, but for now this should do what you want and be clear on how to extend for the copy functionality.

Thanks Vitor. Worked for me. I think there was a slight oversight in "and save it for later" variable function. You mentioned "number_of_files" and I changed it to "destination" and now it works like a charm. Thanks again!!!