File search syntax

If you go to the first page to which I linked could you please follow the initial instructions to Run Troubleshooting within Alfred and then drop in the file which you're failing to find within Alfred. Then, if you're able, just take a screen shot of all of the results and post it here. That will enable someone here to help you.

Stephen

Yes, you have shown how it is failing but what you need to do is exactly what I outlined in my previous two posts:

• Go to this page. You're going to follow the troubleshooting instructions.
  • Open Alfred Preferences and from the sidebar choose Help. Click on Troubleshooting and then under File Search troubleshooting click on Run troubleshooting….
  • You are going to drop into the relevant window your mycoffee file and then, when the troubleshooting ends, we need to see a screen shot of the results of the troubleshooting.

Stephen

OK, that's helpful thanks: don't give up, we're making progress! All that means is that you have not given Alfred the right to look in the place where the file is located. Now we need to work out why. It would help if you could:

• Confirm where on your computer this Numbers spreadsheet is filed (i.e., the full path of the folder).
  • Post a screenshot  of your Default Results screen in Alfred Preferences.

To do the latter open Alfred Preferences, click on Features in the left sidebar, highlight Default Results in the second column, take a screen shot of the Default Results screen and post it here.

Stephen

Where are your Numbers files stored (what is the full path to the folder)? Do you have other Numbers files that you can find iin Alfred or does it fail to find all of them? (I can't immediately see anything wrong with your settings in the screen shot.)

Stephen

I have many Numbers files.  I attach a screenshot with a partial list. "Find" will not return any of them, with one exception:  the file named "Bromptons".

As to the pathnames, so far as I know, Apple does not display any of that PC type info, such as "C/gobble/gobble/crank/root/fugedaboudit".  I did note, however, that the "Bromptons" file was located in ICloud Drive.  I am at a total loss as to how you give you the pathname other than I have.  All I can glean is it is the filename followed by.numbers

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 11.39.46 AM.png

5 minutes ago, hawkmonitor said:

I am at a total loss as to how you give you the pathname other than I have.

If you right click on the name of a file then press the Option key you’ll see in the context menu one of the options is to copy the file as pathname. However, it does appear from your last screenshot that many, if not all, of your Numbers files are stored in iCloud. As your search scope includes ~/Library/Cloud Storage I'm rather at a loss currently: sorry!

I think we should ping @vitor, the expert, to see if he can assist. I'm so sorry not to be of further help just at the moment.

Stephen

1812367326_ScreenShot2022-10-15at12_16_39PM.thumb.png.ce17a44b95df4820e7c8c70acd6c2d7d.pngDont be discouraged.  Perhaps I have a new hint.

After I saved a Numbers file to the Desktop, instead of to Icloud. Alfred Find got it like a wire guided missile.

Also, Alfred returned PDF file located on both the desktop and in Icloud.

Also, was not successful in getting a more precise pathname.  As you can ee from the second screenshot (174kb)the same Apple type pathname is the only one Icould get, filename plus "desktop.number".

So, that for you trying so hard.  But I dont want to spend more time on this project.

Cheers to you and to Vero.

Abel

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 12.21.03 PM.png