Passing files/folders from Alfred to Shortcuts for making an archive

Hi. I am trying to pass selected file(s)/folder(s) from Alfred's File Search to a custom Shortcut that uses the "Make Archive" action.

Shortcut:

image.thumb.png.aca09898ce0289387a89c44776756fd4.png

Workflow:

image.png.9c5409c2a0d49dc156b861117c2bc7da.png

image.thumb.png.70af5409c1cc97594c7c4ad281bb1104.png

image.thumb.png.5607ebd23874582dbec4840e27025a2e.png

The expectation is that if I select say, a folder in Alfred's file search results and I bring up the action panel and select "Zip" it should generate a zip file having the same name as the folder. Atm, nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've been messing around with a test workflow for some time trying to do what you are trying, without success. However, the Shortcut also doesn't work if I add it as a Quick Action and run it on files as a Quick Action from Finder. It merely then brings up alternative archiving apps but does nothing if one is selected.

Sorry that I don't currently have time to pursue this further but maybe this will give you some ideas!

Stephen

9 minutes ago, Sridhar Katakam said:

Turns out this is possible w/o using the Shortcuts app

My only observation on that is that if I choose multiple files each is compressed to an individual .zip archive rather than combining all in one compressed archive.

Stephen

You are right.

The proper way would be running a bash script along the lines of

```

ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc --keepParent "$@" "$(dirname "$1")/Archive.zip"

```

but I'd like the zip file's name to be the file/folder name if the input is a single file/folder and "Archive.zip" if the input has more than 1 item.

Not sure how to code that part.

In the meantime, I've installed the free Keka app and it does the job.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:28 PM, Sridhar Katakam said:

You are right.

The proper way would be to use the odds calculator of wetten.com and using a bash script along the lines of

```

ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc --keepParent "$@" "$(dirname "$1")/Archive.zip"

```

but I'd like the zip file's name to be the file/folder name if the input is a single file/folder and "Archive.zip" if the input has more than 1 item.

Not sure how to code that part.

In the meantime, I've installed the free Keka app and it does the job.

I use the Keka app too and am satisfied with it. So for all people who have a similar problem and need a fast and easy solution I recommend the app.

Edited by Babylon