Can we use 2 arguments?

The below script works great from terminal using osascript but I can't figure out how to get Alfred to process it.

My workflow is a script using osascript and outputting to notification center.

on run argv

set cpu_ready_ms to item 1 of argv

set num_cpu to item 2 of argv

set cpu_ready_percent to cpu_ready_ms / (20 * 1000) * 100 / num_cpu

end run

When run from terminal I get the output I would expect, from Alfred I don't' get any output. I'm new to workflows so I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Thanks,

Mike

The below script works great from terminal using osascript but I can't figure out how to get Alfred to process it.

My workflow is a script using osascript and outputting to notification center.

on run argv

set cpu_ready_percent to cpu_ready_ms / (20 * 1000) * 100 / num_cpu

end run

When run from terminal I get the output I would expect, from Alfred I don't' get any output. I'm new to workflows so I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Thanks,

Mike

Alfred passes all input into the scripts as a single string. If you needed to pass multiple parameters, you could parse the string (using a delimiter) and then pass them individually to the script of your choice.

• 5 months later...

Alfred passes all input into the scripts as a single string. If you needed to pass multiple parameters, you could parse the string (using a delimiter) and then pass them individually to the script of your choice.

What language does Alfred parse in?

For example, if I passed as output "1.2" to the "post notification" block,  how can I just retrieve the "1"? Or the "2"? 

This would be useful to me if I wanted to make the "post notification" title = "1" and the text = "2"

Thanks!

Edited by forgetfulfellow

What language does Alfred parse in?

For example, if I passed as output "1.2" to the "post notification" block,  how can I just retrieve the "1"? Or the "2"? 

This would be useful to me if I wanted to make the "post notification" title = "1" and the text = "2"

Thanks!

Alfred doesn't do any parsing on the query; that's where your code comes in ;)

Since you're working in AppleScript, this should work:

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."} -- Use "." as separator
set argv to text items of argv -- This splits the string into a list, using the new separator

return "CPU Ready Milliseconds: " & cpu_ready_ms & "Num CPU: " & num_cpu -- This returned string becomes {query}

Now, as far as sending two separate variables to Alfred's Notification Output: this is not currently possible. Only one variable, {query}, is available. You can use {query} multiple times, though.

Cheers :)

Edited by Tyler Eich

Alfred doesn't do any parsing on the query; that's where your code comes in ;)

Since you're working in AppleScript, this should work:

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."} -- Use "." as separator
set argv to text items of argv -- This splits the string into a list, using the new separator

return "CPU Ready Milliseconds: " & cpu_ready_ms & "Num CPU: " & num_cpu -- This returned string becomes {query}

Now, as far as sending two separate variables to Alfred's Notification Output: this is not currently possible. Only one variable, {query}, is available. You can use {query} multiple times, though.

Cheers :)

Hey Tyler, 

Thanks for answering my question. However, my new question then becomes:

How can you parse the {query} after you send it as output? Since I want to be using different chunks for different parts of my notification title/text. 

Thanks!

Hey Tyler, 

Thanks for answering my question. However, my new question then becomes:

How can you parse the {query} after you send it as output? Since I want to be using different chunks for different parts of my notification title/text. 

Thanks!

If you were sending it to another script you could simply use some form of delimiter and then split the pieces based upon that delimiter. You can't do that within the notification output piece though. I would suggest building the full output string that you wish to use in the previous step and then echo/print that. Then the whole string would be available as {query} inside of the notification output item.