Writing Assistant: Autocorrection, synonym suggestion, and rephrasing of text.

Autocorrection and synonym suggestions for the word under the cursor. Rephrasing of the selected text. 

The workflow offers four hotkeys:

1. Autocorrect the word under the cursor.
  2. Suggest synonyms for the word under the cursor.
  3. Rephrase the selected text via ChatGPT, improving its language (requires OpenAI API key).
  4.  Same as 3, but use Markdown markup to show the changes:
  • Additions are displayed as ==highlights==.
  • Deletions are displayed as ~~strikethroughs~~.
  • There is a workflow configuration to alternatively format the changes as Critic Markup.

Unfortunately, the forum keeps on failing when I try to upload the demo .gif file. The demo is available at the workflow's GitHub page though:

➡️ https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-writing-assistant

9 hours ago, iandol said:

Chris, you are on a workflow roll!!! Thank you for yet another great workflow 😍

Thanks! I am actually just publishing my "backlog" of Alfred workflow I have created for personal use over the years 😅

10 hours ago, dfay said:

Your download link results in a 404.

Sorry, fixed!

• 3 weeks later...

This is cool -- but I can't get the rephrasing function to produce anything new.  

For example, if I run it on the line above, Alfred returns:

~~This is cool -- but I can"t get the rephrasing function to produce anything new. ~~

i.e. it deletes the text but offers nothing new.

Also, in case this is an easy fix, it misses common English contractions like "isn't" -- if I type isnt' e.g., it returns isntree ...

Overall though it's great!

@dfay

Thank you!

Regarding the first one, I think that occurs when there is an issue with the OpenAI API, either it times out or you hit the rate limit for your account or something like that. I added some error logging, you could try v1.0.4 and run the rephraser with the debugging log in Alfred open, then it should tell you what's going on.

With the second one, I am not totally sure what you mean. There was an issue where it turns single quotes into double quotes that I have just fixed for 1.0.4 as well, in case that helps?

https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-writing-assistant/releases/download/1.0.4/alfred-writing-assistant.alfredworkflow

Edited by pseudometa
forgot @
On 2/2/2024 at 3:04 PM, pseudometa said:

@dfay

Thank you!

Regarding the first one, I think that occurs when there is an issue with the OpenAI API, either it times out or you hit the rate limit for your account or something like that. I added some error logging, you could try v1.0.4 and run the rephraser with the debugging log in Alfred open, then it should tell you what's going on.

With the second one, I am not totally sure what you mean. There was an issue where it turns single quotes into double quotes that I have just fixed for 1.0.4 as well, in case that helps?

https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-writing-assistant/releases/download/1.0.4/alfred-writing-assistant.alfredworkflow

Thanks for the very useful workflow!

I could use the rephrase function in v1.0.3 but I got "ERROR: No response by OpenAI API." error in v.1.0.4.

I just tried downloading and trying v1.0.3 and rephrasing works for me again.

1 hour ago, JJJJ said:

Thanks for the very useful workflow!

I could use the rephrase function in v1.0.3 but I got "ERROR: No response by OpenAI API." error in v.1.0.4.

I just tried downloading and trying v1.0.3 and rephrasing works for me again.

Found the issue, fixed in 1.0.5: https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-writing-assistant/releases/download/1.0.5/alfred-writing-assistant.alfredworkflow

• vitor changed the title to Writing Assistant: Autocorrection, synonym suggestion, and rephrasing of text.