Different search method than Spotlight

Using Alfred for half a year, I finally found something not so convenient of it.

Take "Activity Monitor.app" provided with OS X Mountain Lion as example.

• If I type "act" in Spotlight and Alfred, both get to it with ease.
  • If I type "mon", though, Alfred cannot figure it out while Spotlight makes it.

Another example, also from system utility "Disk Utility.app".

• If I type "disk", both Spotlight and Alfred get it.
  • If I type "di u", only Spotlight gets it.

Final example, from "DOSBox.app" and "VirtualBox.app"

• If I type "dos", both Spotlight and Alfred get "DOSBox.app" only.
  • If I type "box", both get "VirtualBox.app" and put it first, but only Spotlight gets "DOSBox.app"

Maybe I am too strict on this since the main power of Alfred is Powerpack.

Using Alfred for half a year, I finally found something not so convenient of it.

• If I type "mon", though, Alfred cannot figure it out while Spotlight makes it.

• If I type "box", both get "VirtualBox.app" and put it first, but only Spotlight gets "DOSBox.app"

Do you have Alfred's search algorithm set to 'Full fuzzy match from word boundary'? Check out this setting:

Alfred%20Fuzzy%20Match.jpg

One thing I cannot replicate is 'Activity Monitor'; I have the above setting set to 'Fuzzy capital letters' and 'mon' does match 'Activity Monitor'.

I'm with Tyler, I can't replicate the Activity Monitor issue. Alfred easily matches it regardless of the Fuzzy Search setting. This could be a metadata issue. I would suggest reindexing the drive or just the Applications folder. With the Fuzzy Capital Letters setting on, 'di u' won't match to Disk Utility but 'du' would. Changing the setting to Full Fuzzy on Word Boundaries would make 'di u' work. DOSBox and VirtualBox I can't test for because I don't have them. I would think 'box' with DOSBox would be a little more of an issue because of the multiple capital letters.

One thing I cannot replicate is 'Activity Monitor'; I have the above setting set to 'Fuzzy capital letters' and 'mon' does match 'Activity Monitor'.

I'm with Tyler, I can't replicate the Activity Monitor issue. Alfred easily matches it regardless of the Fuzzy Search setting. This could be a metadata issue. I would suggest reindexing the drive or just the Applications folder. With the Fuzzy Capital Letters setting on, 'di u' won't match to Disk Utility but 'du' would. Changing the setting to Full Fuzzy on Word Boundaries would make 'di u' work. DOSBox and VirtualBox I can't test for because I don't have them. I would think 'box' with DOSBox would be a little more of an issue because of the multiple capital letters.

Thank you guys! I have checked out the fuzzy setting. It is great! I still have problem with my Activity Monitor. I am now rebuilding the index.

Thank you guys! I have checked out the fuzzy setting. It is great! I still have problem with my Activity Monitor. I am now rebuilding the index.

Don't forget to also clear Alfred's app cache. Pop up Alfred and type "reload" and select the option to Reload Alfred Cache.