search for text in file of "kind"

How do I search for a file with "my search text" and of a certain filetype?  Reading the docs, it seems I need to use the keyword "in" but how to I specify the filetype?  E.g, if I want to find all excel files with the word "business"  should I specify: "in business .xls" ?  What if I have multiple keywords?

Sorry for such a dumb question but between spotlight and alfred there are enough differences that aren't made clear in the doc. 

How do I search for a file with "my search text" and of a certain filetype?  Reading the docs, it seems I need to use the keyword "in" but how to I specify the filetype?  E.g, if I want to find all excel files with the word "business"  should I specify: "in business .xls" ?  What if I have multiple keywords?

Sorry for such a dumb question but between spotlight and alfred there are enough differences that aren't made clear in the doc. 

The 'in' keyword is a great way to search within the contents of documents but, if you need to specify a certain file type you may want to look at creating a workflow with a file filter. You can get started with a template if you go to the Workflows area, click the + in the bottom right of the list area, and select Templates->Files and Apps. By using a file filter, you can set a specific keyword to set within the contents of only certain file types or within certain folders.

Hi Joost,

I've created the workflow for you, which will show you how you can search inside files using a file filter workflow.

The keyword is for this file filter workflow is set to "exin" and allows you to search for keywords inside Excel files. For example, if I'm looking for the keyword "business", I will type "exin business".

You can download the workflow here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5818788/Alfred/Excel%20Content.alfredworkflow

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Joost,

I've created the workflow for you, which will show you how you can search inside files using a file filter workflow.

The keyword is for this file filter workflow is set to "exin" and allows you to search for keywords inside Excel files. For example, if I'm looking for the keyword "business", I will type "exin business".

You can download the workflow here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5818788/Alfred/Excel%20Content.alfredworkflow

Cheers,

Vero

Great Vero, thanks!    I've made some mods to allow it to search for all office docs works perfectly now.

joost

• 4 years later...