Contacts not showing up in Alfred v2 and Mavericks

nxa244

I recently upgraded to Mavericks and for some reason I can no longer access contacts through Alfred. I've tried a number of suggestions in the forums with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Config:

- OS X 10.9 Mavericks

- Alfred v2.1 (218)

- Contacts enabled in Default Results in Alfred Prefs

- Default account in Address Book is a gmail account

- Alfred 2.app is listed and enabled in Privacy prefpane for Contacts

- All contacts are indexed by and available in spotlight

- No unusual messages related to Alfred in Console

I recently upgraded to Mavericks and for some reason I can no longer access contacts through Alfred. I've tried a number of suggestions in the forums with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Config:

- OS X 10.9 Mavericks

- Alfred v2.1 (218)

- Contacts enabled in Default Results in Alfred Prefs

- Default account in Address Book is a gmail account

- Alfred 2.app is listed and enabled in Privacy prefpane for Contacts

- All contacts are indexed by and available in spotlight

- No unusual messages related to Alfred in Console

You could try resetting OS X's contacts security permissions using this command in Terminal:

tccutil reset AddressBook

Then restart your Mac. All apps will re-request access to the address book when they first need it, so you will see this dialog pop up when you type a query into Alfred.

I created a new contact called "Alfred Test". This contact showed up in spotlight but still not found in Alfred

Hm interesting... If you check OS X's Security & Privacy > Privacy > Contact prefs, is Alfred listed in here? If so, are other apps listed in here. I would be interested in finding out if they have issues accessing the address book too.

Cheers,

Andrew

I have Skype installed and can see all my Mac Address Book Contacts there.

BTW, not sure this is relevant but I have ~5000 contacts in my address book.

Number of contacts shouldn't really matter. As Andrew mentioned, could you check OS X's Security & Privacy > Privacy > Contact prefs and see if Alfred is listed there? If so, is he ticked to allow access to contacts?

Yes it's listed and yes it's ticked to allow access to contacts.

It's a little strange, but for some reason, I believe that OS X's security is preventing contacts from being fed to Alfred. This may be an little bug in Mavericks (as it's quite new still), or a permissions issue / some corruption in OS X.

If you open Console.app, do you see any errors relating to Alfred when you try to search for contacts?

It's a little strange, but for some reason, I believe that OS X's security is preventing contacts from being fed to Alfred. This may be an little bug in Mavericks (as it's quite new still), or a permissions issue / some corruption in OS X.

If you open Console.app, do you see any errors relating to Alfred when you try to search for contacts?

The only thing related to contacts is the message below when Alfred prompts to access contacts:

11/25/13 11:19:45.064 PM tccd[258]: Prompting for access to kTCCServiceAddressBook from /Applications/Alfred 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Alfred 2

Also, I just bought a brand new MBP and did a clean install of Alfred 2. This also didn't make a difference.

The only thing related to contacts is the message below when Alfred prompts to access contacts:

11/25/13 11:19:45.064 PM tccd[258]: Prompting for access to kTCCServiceAddressBook from /Applications/Alfred 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Alfred 2

Also, I just bought a brand new MBP and did a clean install of Alfred 2. This also didn't make a difference.

Pop an email to our info@alfredapp com account - I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this for you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I also have a similar problem. My contacts are not showing up in Alfred V2 since my recent upgrade to Mavericks. It was working perfectly just before the Mavericks upgrade. 

If I go to OS X's Security & Privacy, Alfred is not listed in in the apps that have access to contacts: http://screencast.com/t/wPUY7QRbWW3X

Is this right ?

Is there a way to reset Alfred contacts authorizations under Mavericks ?

I also have a similar problem. My contacts are not showing up in Alfred V2 since my recent upgrade to Mavericks. It was working perfectly just before the Mavericks upgrade. 

If I go to OS X's Security & Privacy, Alfred is not listed in in the apps that have access to contacts: http://screencast.com/t/wPUY7QRbWW3X

Is this right ?

Is there a way to reset Alfred contacts authorizations under Mavericks ?

As above... Quit Alfred and then in Terminal, type:

tccutil reset AddressBook

Then restart your Mac. All apps will re-request access to the address book when they first need it, so you will see this dialog pop up when you type a query into Alfred.

I did as you are suggesting:

1. Quit Alfred
  2. tccutil reset AddressBook in the Terminal
  3. Reboot
  4. Start Alfred
  5. I get system message asking the permission for Alfred to access my contacts. I say Yes
  6. I check in Mac OSX security  http://screencast.com/t/OvmzlweueIlM
  7. I check that I can find the contacts doing a spotlight search - yes
  8. I still can't get the contacts in Alfred search. Again, it was working fine before the Mavericks upgrade. 
  9. http://screencast.com/t/5Fn0x7NvTb

What could be wrong ??

Edited by Templay

I did as you are suggesting:

1. Quit Alfred
  2. tccutil reset AddressBook in the Terminal
  3. Reboot
  4. Start Alfred
  5. I get system message asking the permission for Alfred to access my contacts. I say Yes
  6. I check in Mac OSX security  http://screencast.com/t/OvmzlweueIlM
  7. I check that I can find the contacts doing a spotlight search - yes
  8. I still can't get the contacts in Alfred search. Again, it was working fine before the Mavericks upgrade. 
  9. http://screencast.com/t/5Fn0x7NvTb

What could be wrong ??

Can you check that Contacts is ticked in Alfred's Features > Default Result preferences please?

Cheers,

Andrew

• 4 months later...

I had the exact problem people described below, same symptoms, same attempt to resolve, same results.   (ie, Alfred WAS selected in System Prefs , Privacy, etc.)

Fixed it tho: 

• Exited Alfred
  • System Preferences
  • Security and Privacy
  • Privacy
  • Contacts
  • UNSELECTED / DE-CHECKED Alfred
  • Selected / Checked it again
  • Restarted Alfred

Problem resolved.

NOTE:  The problem started after I installed a new mail client (Airmail), which had asked for and received access to contacts.  Don't know if it's related, but seems like more than a coincidence that after I installed a new app that regularly hammers Contacts that another app lost access to contacts.  #justsayin'

I had the exact problem people described below, same symptoms, same attempt to resolve, same results.   (ie, Alfred WAS selected in System Prefs , Privacy, etc.)

Fixed it tho: 

• Exited Alfred
  • System Preferences
  • Security and Privacy
  • Privacy
  • Contacts
  • UNSELECTED / DE-CHECKED Alfred
  • Selected / Checked it again
  • Restarted Alfred

Problem resolved.

NOTE:  The problem started after I installed a new mail client (Airmail), which had asked for and received access to contacts.  Don't know if it's related, but seems like more than a coincidence that after I installed a new app that regularly hammers Contacts that another app lost access to contacts.  #justsayin'