Latest update not launching in Mavericks

This morning when I booted up, Alfred said there was an update...but failed to download the update. (243b) So, I downloaded the latest version from the Alfred website and replaced the version I was previously using. Now, however, Alfred won't even launch. Nothing happens at login/bootup and manually double-clicking Alfred 2.app in the Applications folder doesn't do anything. Nothing at all.

Any ideas? I feel lost without Alfred...

(BTW, I'm running Mavericks 10.9.2)

This morning when I booted up, Alfred said there was an update...but failed to download the update. (243b) So, I downloaded the latest version from the Alfred website and replaced the version I was previously using. Now, however, Alfred won't even launch. Nothing happens at login/bootup and manually double-clicking Alfred 2.app in the Applications folder doesn't do anything. Nothing at all.

Any ideas? I feel lost without Alfred...

(BTW, I'm running Mavericks 10.9.2)

We haven't heard of any issues where Alfred fails to launch, so this could be down to a corrupted download. I would recommend manually downloading Alfred 2 from your Applications folder, then re-downloading from the website again. 

If you use any third-party unzipping tools, please make sure you don't use these to unzip Alfred and just use the default OS X unzipper.

Let me know how you get on :)

We haven't heard of any issues where Alfred fails to launch, so this could be down to a corrupted download. I would recommend manually downloading Alfred 2 from your Applications folder, then re-downloading from the website again. 

If you use any third-party unzipping tools, please make sure you don't use these to unzip Alfred and just use the default OS X unzipper.

Let me know how you get on :)

Unfortunately, that didn't work. 

When I first went to delete Alfred 2.app, it told me it couldn't be deleted because it was open. (But there's no indication anywhere that it's open/running...no menu bar icon, doesn't launch with the keyboard commands, etc.) So, I removed it from the "Start at login" group, restarted, then deleted it. But I didn't just delete it - I used CleanMyMac to remove everything - Application Support files, .plist, etc. Clean uninstall.

I re-downloaded, and un-zipped with the built-in OS X unarchiver. 

Same thing as before: nothing happens. Again, I can't drag it to the trash because it says it's running.

So, it seems it's sort-of running, just not finishing or something. 

Any other ideas? 

Related note: I noticed that version 1.2 is available in the App Store. Can I install that version? Will my PowerPack license work with it? Any issues with giving that a try?

When I first went to delete Alfred 2.app, it told me it couldn't be deleted because it was open. (But there's no indication anywhere that it's open/running...no menu bar icon, doesn't launch with the keyboard commands, etc.) So, I removed it from the "Start at login" group, restarted, then deleted it. But I didn't just delete it - I used CleanMyMac to remove everything - Application Support files, .plist, etc. Clean uninstall.

Same thing as before: nothing happens. Again, I can't drag it to the trash because it says it's running.

Any other ideas? 

Related note: I noticed that version 1.2 is available in the App Store. Can I install that version? Will my PowerPack license work with it? Any issues with giving that a try?

I'm really not sure what's going on here... pop an email to info@alfredapp com and we can get logging turned on for Alfred so we can find at which point it's getting stuck!

Cheers,

Andrew

Any other ideas? 

I would also suggest trying to make another user account on your Mac and logging in there to see if you have the same issues with Alfred. If not, I think we could probably rule out there being something wrong with Alfred. At that point, it may be something more specific to your configuration that is causing the issues.

FYI, problem solved...it was a bugger to figure out, though. 

Turns out that Alfred 2 was trying to access Contacts, but Contacts.app wasn't loading. Further investigation found that iCloud was crashing (couldn't even load the Preference Pane), so because iCloud (and thus Contacts) were borked, Alfred 2 wouldn't launch.

I finally narrowed it down to a buggy login item that was affecting iCloud. I removed the login item, and now everything is working fine.

FYI, problem solved...it was a bugger to figure out, though. 

Turns out that Alfred 2 was trying to access Contacts, but Contacts.app wasn't loading. Further investigation found that iCloud was crashing (couldn't even load the Preference Pane), so because iCloud (and thus Contacts) were borked, Alfred 2 wouldn't launch.

I finally narrowed it down to a buggy login item that was affecting iCloud. I removed the login item, and now everything is working fine.

Awesome, glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks for reporting back as well.