Default email client not working on newest (v2.2) alfred

After downloading and installing the recent v2.2 of Alfred I cannot get Alfred to use the default email client (Lotus Notes) in my case. I worked for v2.0 however.

What I do:

- select a file in the finder 

- Use the file selection command

- From the menu chose "Email"

This automatically brings up the Apple Mail.app instead of IBM Notes (formerly lotus notes) which is my default mail client. Note the following:

- using Alfred v2.0 + power pack until the upgrade this action worked fine and brought up IBM Notes attaching the file correctly

- I've checked both in the Apple Mail.app and the client preferences are correctly set

- For other applications (e.g. click to send email links in browsers) the IBM Notes client is started correctly. Only Alfred seems to be hardwired to the Apple Mail.app

I hope this can be solved. It was so useful to have.

Mac

After downloading and installing the recent v2.2 of Alfred I cannot get Alfred to use the default email client (Lotus Notes) in my case. I worked for v2.0 however.

What I do:

- select a file in the finder 

- Use the file selection command

- From the menu chose "Email"

This automatically brings up the Apple Mail.app instead of IBM Notes (formerly lotus notes) which is my default mail client. Note the following:

- using Alfred v2.0 + power pack until the upgrade this action worked fine and brought up IBM Notes attaching the file correctly

- I've checked both in the Apple Mail.app and the client preferences are correctly set

- For other applications (e.g. click to send email links in browsers) the IBM Notes client is started correctly. Only Alfred seems to be hardwired to the Apple Mail.app

I hope this can be solved. It was so useful to have.

Mac

Alfred has never had support for Lotus Notes for attaching files (in fact, I'm not even sure if Lotus Notes has the required AppleScript support at all for this), so if this worked before, it could have been e.g. Lotus Notes installing something to intercept Mail.app actions? You'll need to investigate if there has been a change in or with Lotus Notes as we are not familiar with this client.

Just in case you are confusing commands, without attachments, the 'email' command (e.g. Show Alfred and type: email steve appleseed) will work with any mail client, as this is using the generic mailto: handler in OS X.

Cheers,

Andrew

[moving to the help sub-forum]

Ok - I've found a work around for the file action attachment" using IBM Notes based on the following csh script 

C shell script that you can use in Automator. 

set m = "mailto:?
foreach f ($*) 
     set f = `perl -MURI::Escape -e 'print uri_escape($ARGV[0]);' "$f"` 
     set m = "$m&attach=$f" 
end 
open /Applications/IBM\ Notes.app "$m"

The automator service works fine. However, adding a file action service called "Notes attachement" connected to a bash script which references the Automator workflow however does not. I see the file action in the menu and it correctly starts up a new email in Notes but without the attachment.

Tips welcome.

Mac

Edited by mac

Ok - I've found a work around for the file action attachment" using IBM Notes based on the following csh script 

C shell script that you can use in Automator. 

set m = "mailto:?

foreach f ($*) 

set f = `perl -MURI::Escape -e 'print uri_escape($ARGV[0]);' "$f"` 

set m = "$m&attach=$f" 

end 

open /Applications/IBM\ Notes.app "$m"

The automator service works fine. However, adding a file action service called "Notes attachement" connected to a bash script which references the Automator workflow however does not. I see the file action in the menu and it correctly starts up a new email in Notes but without the attachment.

Tips welcome.

Mac

Could you export the Workflow you have so far (right click in the Workflow list and export), and share it here and somebody can take a look to see what's up :)

[moving to workflow help sub-forum]

Here is the workflow as implemented right now. Thanks for any help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10782873/Attach%20to%20IBM%20Notes%20Email.alfredworkflow

You didn't include the actual automator workflow with the alfred workflow. I haven't messed with csh before but from the looks of it, it seems like its just building onto the mailto and then opening that url with IBM Notes. I'm not a big csh guy but could knock this out really quickly with PHP.

Try the workflow attached here and let me know if this works please.

It does just as I mentioned above. It builds a custom mailto url that is opened with IBM Notes.

Hi Dave,

Works like a charm even with multiple files selected - many many thanks. That seems to be a good general solution for email clients such as Lotus Notes that don't work with AppleScript.

Again thank you

Malcolm