'in' not working as expected

jimalton

I have the latest Mavericks and Alfred and use Alfred's find and open without trouble but 'in' isn't working.

You'd expect 'in' to use find then open then a search for the string, but 'in' doesn't even give the same found list as find and open; and 'in' sometimes can't find files at all when find and open can. The function 'in' seems to work sometimes, and when it does you'd expect to be shown the document page with the found string highlighted but it doesn't do this - what it does is to open the document at the page it was at when it was last closed. Also, 'in' doesn't like to find anything containing numbers.

I have the latest Mavericks and Alfred and use Alfred's find and open without trouble but 'in' isn't working.

You'd expect 'in' to use find then open then a search for the string, but 'in' doesn't even give the same found list as find and open; and 'in' sometimes can't find files at all when find and open can. The function 'in' seems to work sometimes, and when it does you'd expect to be shown the document page with the found string highlighted but it doesn't do this - what it does is to open the document at the page it was at when it was last closed. Also, 'in' doesn't like to find anything containing numbers.

The keyword works differently to what you described; the "in" keyword followed by a search string uses OS X's metadata index to look for files that contain that word within the searchable text content. :)

For example, with "in budget", Alfred will search for files within your search scope that contain the word "budget" in the content and present you with these results. 

If you want to create more refined search filters, this is where File Filter workflows (part of the Powerpack) come in handy, as you can customise your searches to either look at particular file types or locations on your Mac.

I'm moving this thread to closed, as this isn't a bug in Alfred.