Clipboard pasting in wrong window/display

dserodio

Context: I have an external monitor plugged into my MBP. The main display is the MBP built-in, so that's where Alfred opens. Sublime Text is open and has multiple windows in both displays.

I'm using a Sublime Text window in the external (secondary) display, so it is focused. I hit Cmd+Opt+C (Sublime loses focus, Alfred is focused), select the snippet I want and hit Enter.

Results: The text is pasted in a Sublime window in the primary display

Expected results: The text should be pasted in the Sublime window that was focused when I hit Cmd+Opt+C, which is in the secondary display

Context: I have an external monitor plugged into my MBP. The main display is the MBP built-in, so that's where Alfred opens. Sublime Text is open and has multiple windows in both displays.

I'm using a Sublime Text window in the external (secondary) display, so it is focused. I hit Cmd+Opt+C (Sublime loses focus, Alfred is focused), select the snippet I want and hit Enter.

Results: The text is pasted in a Sublime window in the primary display

Expected results: The text should be pasted in the Sublime window that was focused when I hit Cmd+Opt+C, which is in the secondary display

The behaviour of this can depend on a few things, sometimes down to the target app's focus behaviour.

First thing to try is set Alfred to show on the active display (in Alfred's Appearance > Options).

If this doesn't work... try just showing Alfred and then hiding him to see where the focus flows. I know that Google Chrome exhibits incorrect behaviour where the focus always returns to a window on the primary display when it shouldn't do.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this seems to be application-specific. Firefox behaves correctly: I have a Firefox window open on each display, after showing and hiding Alfred the focus returns to the correct (ie. the previously focused) window. If I have Sublime Text focused, after showing and hiding Alfred the focus always returns to the primary display.

Changing Alfred's preference to show on the active or default screen doesn't make a difference in this regard.

Is there some workaround you can do in Alfred, or can only the Sublime Text developer fix this?

Regards,

Daniel Serodio

Yeah, this seems to be application-specific. Firefox behaves correctly: I have a Firefox window open on each display, after showing and hiding Alfred the focus returns to the correct (ie. the previously focused) window. If I have Sublime Text focused, after showing and hiding Alfred the focus always returns to the primary display.

Changing Alfred's preference to show on the active or default screen doesn't make a difference in this regard.

Is there some workaround you can do in Alfred, or can only the Sublime Text developer fix this?

Regards,

Daniel Serodio

I'm not entirely sure there is much I can do in Alfred to modify this behaviour which is controlled by OS X and the underlying applications.

Is there a way to reproduce this in e.g. Sublime Text without using Alfred?