Email to a Workflow

I'd like to be able to trigger an Alfred workflow on my Mac from another machine that has only email access to the outside world.  I'd like the subject line of the email to be available to the workflow as the query/input.

I could create a rule in Mail.app to run an AppleScript upon receiving an email matching certain criteria, and have that AppleScript do the work I want.  I'm just wondering if there is a clever way to have Alfred accomplish something similar.  (I don't currently use Mail.app, and running it just to do this is overkill.)

Thanks,

I'd like to be able to trigger an Alfred workflow on my Mac from another machine that has only email access to the outside world.  I'd like the subject line of the email to be available to the workflow as the query/input.

I could create a rule in Mail.app to run an AppleScript upon receiving an email matching certain criteria, and have that AppleScript do the work I want.  I'm just wondering if there is a clever way to have Alfred accomplish something similar.  (I don't currently use Mail.app, and running it just to do this is overkill.)

Thanks,

Mail.app wouldn't be required for doing something like this. Any mail application with AppleScript support could probably do this, or you could use some other scripting to perform sending mail from the command line.

• 2 weeks later...

Mail.app wouldn't be required for doing something like this. Any mail application with AppleScript support could probably do this, or you could use some other scripting to perform sending mail from the command line.

I think he wants Alfred to be triggered by received mail.

Thanks,

Basically, Mail.app is probably the simplest way to do this. There are lighter-weight alternatives, but they're much more complex to achieve.

As I understand it, you want to trigger Alfred actions on one machine from another via email.

So on the receiving end, you need something that can talk to a mailserver or your email client and to Alfred. There aren't many email clients that can run scripts from filters, and writing your own client is a bit tricky. If you use Gmail, you could perhaps whip something up with the API.