pwme - a workflow to quickly generate passwords using pwgen

Hey!

First post.

I made a workflow. I thought you might like it. 

---

pwme - a workflow to quickly generate passwords using pwgen

Generate secure random passwords using pwgen and copy to the clipboard.

Prerequisites / installation

pwme depends on pwgen and expects pwgen binary to be available at /usr/local/bin/pwgen

The easiest way to install pwgen is with Homebrew

pwgen is available as a Homebrew package, so assuming your Homebrew environment is set up right you simply need to run the following from your console (or via Alfred!):

brew install pwgen

If you've already got pwgen installed you can skip this step.

Next you need to download and install the workflow, head over here to find the latest release:

https://github.com/tthew/alfred2-pwme-workflow/releases

Usage

To use pwme enter the pwme keyword. If you hit enter this will generate an 8 character password and copy it to your clipboard.

You can also tell pwme to produce shorter or longer passwords by specifying a number of character to genereate e.g. pwme 16

Under the hood

pwme alls pwgen with the following arguments:

> /usr/local/bin pwgen -cnysB1

License

Apache-2

---

I hope someone finds it useful.  Enjoy!

Very useful workflow.

Would you consider increasing the default length to something more secure, say 20+ characters?

In these days of GPU-accelerated password crackers that can guess billions of times per second, an 8-character password can often be guessed in a few seconds.

Thanks for the workflow.

It seems that you are adding an unintentional new line (line break) at the end of the password when it's copied to the clipboard?

Also, maybe a setting for the default length would be nice, like deanishe I would like a longer default?

Lastly, would it be possible to have a setting for leaving out ambiguous characters (like "I" and "l")?