No longer finding or launching Applications

I am a long time user of Alfred and up until today it has worked flawlessly. For me, Alfred is indispensable. I really didn’t realize how much I used it until it quit working right. At any rate, I primarily use Alfred to launch apps & find stuff. Well, it won’t launch apps now. Before today, all I would have to do was type the first letter of my often used apps and presto, Alfred would find it. I would then hit return and the app opened (there is NOT a faster app launcher out there when Alfred is working). So, in an attempt to fix, I go into the settings, and clear the Applications cache. It had no effect. So, I rebuilt OS X metadata, and it had no effect. Are the Alfred gods mad at me!!! Please help.

I have a MacBook Pro 15” Retina, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ram. It is running OS 10.10.4. I haven’t installed anything new since the 10.10.4 update came out.

I am a long time user of Alfred and up until today it has worked flawlessly. For me, Alfred is indispensable. I really didn’t realize how much I used it until it quit working right. At any rate, I primarily use Alfred to launch apps & find stuff. Well, it won’t launch apps now. Before today, all I would have to do was type the first letter of my often used apps and presto, Alfred would find it. I would then hit return and the app opened (there is NOT a faster app launcher out there when Alfred is working). So, in an attempt to fix, I go into the settings, and clear the Applications cache. It had no effect. So, I rebuilt OS X metadata, and it had no effect. Are the Alfred gods mad at me!!! Please help.

I have a MacBook Pro 15” Retina, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ram. It is running OS 10.10.4. I haven’t installed anything new since the 10.10.4 update came out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the files are being found, right? They just dont launch? Or are they not being found in Alfred? If they aren't being found, did you potentially modify Alfred's search scope? Have you checked out any of the other indexing steps listed here?

I, too, have the same problem. Same macbook specs by the sound of it too.

In my case, it doesn't actually find the result I am looking for in Alfred. 

To compound matters:

-  it's not consistent for all applications: For example, I can find Android Studio but not Keynote though they are in the same folder. 

- It's not consistent all the time - sometimes it will find both but more often than not, Keynote will be missing. 

- In all cases, the result is available in Spotlight. 

I've tried reindexing and all other suggestions on the Alfred site.

Lastly, *some* results are found - searching for Key returns Keychain and Keyboard Prefs in all cases. It also seems to be limited to a subset of apps. I've observed this with Keynote, Pages, Word, Chrome and Mail. I've never had this problem with TextMate or Android Studio. 

I've already been helping donny6832 directly by email so skipping straight to helping AlxC troubleshoot his issues :)

I, too, have the same problem. Same macbook specs by the sound of it too.

In my case, it doesn't actually find the result I am looking for in Alfred. 

To compound matters:

-  it's not consistent for all applications: For example, I can find Android Studio but not Keynote though they are in the same folder. 

- It's not consistent all the time - sometimes it will find both but more often than not, Keynote will be missing. 

- In all cases, the result is available in Spotlight. 

I've tried reindexing and all other suggestions on the Alfred site.

Lastly, *some* results are found - searching for Key returns Keychain and Keyboard Prefs in all cases. It also seems to be limited to a subset of apps. I've observed this with Keynote, Pages, Word, Chrome and Mail. I've never had this problem with TextMate or Android Studio. 

As you've identified Keynote as one particular example that doesn't seem to be found properly, could you download and install the metadata tool below and drop in one of your files, and copy the output in your reply?

This will allow us to see whether the metadata for this app is complete, narrowing down where the issue lies. :)

Cheers,
Vero

I am also having a problem with 2.7.1 finding info in my contacts and history.

However I am on OS X 10.10.5, not sure if this causes the problem.

I have always been able to use the hot key, enter the first few letters of my bank or credit card and it would immediately open the website when I click on the name that comes up. In the past it always came up but not anymore.

If it is the new OS, is there a beta version of Alfred that might help me?

I am also having a problem with 2.7.1 finding info in my contacts and history.

However I am on OS X 10.10.5, not sure if this causes the problem.

I have always been able to use the hot key, enter the first few letters of my bank or credit card and it would immediately open the website when I click on the name that comes up. In the past it always came up but not anymore.

If it is the new OS, is there a beta version of Alfred that might help me?

This is unlikely to be related to the latest OS X update but here are a few things to look at:

First, this may seem obvious but in the prefs under Features > Default Results, ensure that Contacts and Bookmarks are ticked.

Re: contacts

- Are ANY of your contacts found or none at all?

- In the Contacts app, are your contacts in iCloud or On My Mac, rather than in a Google Contacts or other header?

- Follow the steps here to reset permissions to your contacts: http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:finding-contacts

If you're still unable to see your contacts, go to Alfred's Prefs, under Features > Contacts > Advanced and check the box for "Use Spotlight metadata for searching contacts"

Re: history

These should be found if they're still stored in your Safari bookmarks history, but you can create a custom search without a query to save those most used ones in Alfred's available links:

http://blog.alfredapp.com/2011/04/14/alfred-productivity-tips-using-custom-searches/

I don't see your details as a Powerpack user so please fill in your Powerpack email address in your forum profile if you are). With the Powerpack, you can also choose to save URL history of what you've typed into Alfred (amongst the many other fantastic features you'd unlock!)

Cheers,

Vero