New "update" command

Hi All,

I see that the Info panel on workflows how has an Update button.

How does that work?? Anything we can do to lonk to new versions or will this be something pointing to a future repository on alfredapp.com itself?

Corentin

Hi All,

I see that the Info panel on workflows how has an Update button.

How does that work?? Anything we can do to lonk to new versions or will this be something pointing to a future repository on alfredapp.com itself?

Corentin

If I am not mistaken, the update button has been there for a while and it just "updates" the information fields if you actually change some of the details... don't think it has anything to do with actually updating the workflow to a new version off the net etc...

Yeah it's definitely what twinpeaks described and isn't some kind of workflow updater.

Than maybe my question should be turned into a feature reques ;-) (seriously though. a workflow repository with auto-updates would be great!!)

Corentin

Well we had a pretty solid combo with Alfpt workflow by Tom Hunt and Rob Horvath's Repo workflow. Now that Tom has taken down the repository we see the problems with having one person host the repository.

I do not think the Alfred team, at this point, has the time to put up a repo from what I have gathered from comments around here.

Github repo is the way to go but there needs to be a couple smart and reliable members to keep it up running smoothly... Something will come up hopefully.

Slow your roll guys :) Once v2 is out we may look into setting up some kind of repo. Right now, getting things feature complete and working out bugs are the biggest issue at hand.

Tom Hunt's repo was definitely an awesome idea but popularity of Alfred and its workflows and extensions should always be kept in mind when planning something for Alfred. I learned that the hard way with my original v1 Wolfram extension. Wolfram limits requests to 2000 per day. My original thought was, "that should be plenty!". My API key got killed a few days later, averaging 9-10k requests a day. Oops :) And that was back when it only fired at the end when the extension was executed... not at every keystroke like it does now with Workflows. Alfred v2 obviously isn't even available to everyone yet so imagine how much traffic would be hitting a server if you put up a workflow that searches an API and returns data, on every keystroke, when Alfred v2 is in full swing and everyone has it. Simple, cheap web hosting services aren't going to cut it.