Coding clean up

Hello,

I not good at all in Applescripting and I would like to utilize  the large text display in Alfred. Also my coding is a bit sloppy... Any suggestions would be great.  

I am making a workflow to convert a date into roman numeral date. Once done will be posting the finished results.. 

on alfred_script(q)
try
	tell (current date)
		set yearInt to its year
		set monthInt to its month as integer
		set dayInt to its day
	end tell

set defaultDateString to (dayInt &  monthInt & yearInt) as text

tell current application
		set userDateString to text returned of (display dialog "Enter a date of the form: DD/MM/YYYY" with title "AppleScript By Christopher Stone" default answer defaultDateString as text)
	end tell

if userDateString ≠ defaultDateString then
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "/"
		set {dayInt, monthInt, yearInt} to text items of userDateString
	end if

on error e number n
	set e to e & return & return & "Num: " & n
	if n ≠ -128 then
		try
			tell current application to button returned of ¬
				(display dialog e with title "ERROR!" buttons {"Copy Error Message", "Cancel", "OK"} ¬
					default button "OK" giving up after 30)
			if ddButton = "Copy" then set the clipboard to e
		end try
	end if
end try

try

set RomanYear to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to (count (yearInt as string))
		set RomanYear to item (((item -i of (yearInt as string)) as integer) + 1) of item i of ¬
			{{"", "I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX"}, ¬
				{"", "X", "XX", "XXX", "XL", "L", "LX", "LXX", "LXXX", "XC"}, ¬
				{"", "C", "CC", "CCC", "CD", "D", "DC", "DCC", "DCCC", "CM"}, ¬
				{"", "M", "MM", "MMM"}} & RomanYear
	end repeat
	set RomanMonth to item monthInt of {"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX", "X", "XII", "XII"}
	set RomanDay to item dayInt of {"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX", "X", "XI", "XII", "XIII", "XIV", "XV", "XVI", "XVII", "XVIII", "XIX", "XX", "XXI", "XXII", "XXXII", "XXIV", "XXV", "XXVI", "XXVII", "XXVIII", "XXIX", "XXX", "XXXI"}
	set the clipboard to RomanDay & "-" & RomanMonth & "-" & RomanYear

display notification RomanDay & "-" & RomanMonth & "-" & RomanYear with title "Roman Numerles set to Clipboard" sound name "Submarine"

on error e number n
	if n ≠ -128 then
		try
				(display dialog e with title "ERROR!" buttons {"Copy Error Message", "Cancel", "OK"} ¬
		end try
	end if
end try
end alfred_script

Much appreciated,

Bill

Hello,

I not good at all in Applescripting and I would like to utilize  the large text display in Alfred. Also my coding is a bit sloppy... Any suggestions would be great.  

I am making a workflow to convert a date into roman numeral date. Once done will be posting the finished results.. 

on alfred_script(q)
try
	tell (current date)
		set yearInt to its year
		set monthInt to its month as integer
		set dayInt to its day
	end tell

set defaultDateString to (dayInt &  monthInt & yearInt) as text

tell current application
		set userDateString to text returned of (display dialog "Enter a date of the form: DD/MM/YYYY" with title "AppleScript By Christopher Stone" default answer defaultDateString as text)
	end tell

if userDateString ≠ defaultDateString then
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "/"
		set {dayInt, monthInt, yearInt} to text items of userDateString
	end if

on error e number n
	if n ≠ -128 then
		try
		end try
	end if
end try

try

set RomanYear to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to (count (yearInt as string))
		set RomanYear to item (((item -i of (yearInt as string)) as integer) + 1) of item i of ¬
			{{"", "I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX"}, ¬
				{"", "X", "XX", "XXX", "XL", "L", "LX", "LXX", "LXXX", "XC"}, ¬
				{"", "C", "CC", "CCC", "CD", "D", "DC", "DCC", "DCCC", "CM"}, ¬
				{"", "M", "MM", "MMM"}} & RomanYear
	end repeat
	set RomanMonth to item monthInt of {"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX", "X", "XII", "XII"}
	set RomanDay to item dayInt of {"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V", "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX", "X", "XI", "XII", "XIII", "XIV", "XV", "XVI", "XVII", "XVIII", "XIX", "XX", "XXI", "XXII", "XXXII", "XXIV", "XXV", "XXVI", "XXVII", "XXVIII", "XXIX", "XXX", "XXXI"}
	set the clipboard to RomanDay & "-" & RomanMonth & "-" & RomanYear

display notification RomanDay & "-" & RomanMonth & "-" & RomanYear with title "Roman Numerles set to Clipboard" sound name "Submarine"

on error e number n
	if n ≠ -128 then
		try
		end try
	end if
end try
end alfred_script

Much appreciated,

Bill

Bill, I moved this into the workflow help section of the forums to get it a little more exposure.

Are you needing help with something in particular on this or simply looking for pointers?

I re-coded it in PHP and dropped it in a simple workflow that you can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hihr5zl054wdq5u/Roman%20Date.alfredworkflow?dl=0.

It works as a script filter and uses PHP's date parser, so you can do things like "rd now" and "rd tomorrow" and "rd next friday" and "rd -1000 years" as well as "Oct 29 1993" or "10/29/1993".

Currently, if you press enter, it just displays it as large text.

I re-coded it in PHP and dropped it in a simple workflow that you can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hihr5zl054wdq5u/Roman%20Date.alfredworkflow?dl=0.

It works as a script filter and uses PHP's date parser, so you can do things like "rd now" and "rd tomorrow" and "rd next friday" and "rd -1000 years" as well as "Oct 29 1993" or "10/29/1993".

Currently, if you press enter, it just displays it as large text.

Thank you Shawn, it works great Now I got to figure out how you did it and work on my PHP coding... 

Thank you Shawn, it works great Now I got to figure out how you did it and work on my PHP coding... 

After you install the workflow, just open it up and look at the `script-filter.php`. You'll see that I've included a library called "Alphred" that I wrote that makes writing workflows in PHP much, much easier, and so that is what controls the output for the script filter. Here, the library just easily creates the XML that Alfred reads.

The text to date functionality (for things like "now" or "tomorrow" or "+1 year") are built into PHP's date functionality. More specifically, they're built into the function `strtotime`, and so that does a lot of the heavy lifting.

The actual conversion from Arabic to Roman numerals is done by breaking the date string (31/3/1999) into an array and then using an `array_filter` (which just applies the same function to each part). So, all we needed was a single function to convert an Arabic number to a Roman numeral.

The function that does that is here:

function toRoman( $integer ) {
    $output = '';
    $conversion = [
    	'M' => 1000,
    	'CM'=> 900,
    	'D'=>500,
    	'CD'=>400,
    	'C'=>100,
    	'XC'=>90,
    	'L'=>50,
    	'XL'=>40,
    	'X'=>10,
    	'IX'=>9,
    	'V'=>5,
    	'IV'=>4,
    	'I'=>1
    ];

while ( $integer > 0 ) :
		foreach ( $conversion as $roman => $arabic ) :
			if ( $integer >= $arabic ) {
				$integer -= $arabic;
				$output .= $roman;
				break;
			}
		endforeach;
	endwhile;

return $output;
}

So, basically it takes an associative array that defines the translations between Arabic and Roman and then just uses two loops to modify the input value while constructing an output string. Each time it adds onto the string, it removes the equivalent value from the input integer and just keeps going until the integer reaches 0 and then returns the string.

Hopefully the explanation helps.

I did decide to make it a script filter rather than using an Applescript input box because it makes it easier to manipulate the values quickly and see the results.