Sorry folks...newbie topic

Sorry folks...newbie here.

When I search for a file, I want it to show MS Word docs first, then pdf's.  I'd also like to be able to open the ENTIRE search result in finder like in Spotlight.  Right now, it gives me a mishmash of pdfs and Word docs, no rhyme or reason with the sequence, e.g., it may show a 5 year old Word file first, followed by a more recent pdf, then more old stuff, etc.  Also, when I try to use the scroll bar on the search result, nothing happens.  Likewise, nothing happens when I try to use the CMD + number trigger that shows up next to the document itself.  

I figure these are things to be set in the preferences, but I've been tinkering with it for a while and the panel remains stumped.

Thanks.

I have the Powerpack and am using V 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred doesn't work that way. It organises results based on your past behaviour and names. If you want to sort by type, you should set up File Filters for the different filetypes.

To open the search results in Finder, use ⌥+↩.

I don't know why the CMD+number isn't working.

Hi there,

Sorry for the slow reply - looks like this thread slipped my radar last week!  Adding a little more detail beyond deanishe's first reply (thanks Dean!)

First, when searching for files, how are you searching? Instead of adding all file types to Alfred's default results, we recommend using the "open" keyword (or press the spacebar) to expand your search results (more details on this here: https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/file-search/#file-search)

As Dean explained, results are based on your previous usage, so the more you search and open files, the more the results will feel relevant and current. :)

If you're searching for specific file types regularly, creating file filters is a great way to do this. Here's a guide on creating your own file filters:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/inputs/file-filter/#workflow

Finally, if you'd like to action all visible results, go to Alfred's Advanced results. In the right column, you can choose to assign cmd, ctrl or alt to "Action all visible results". 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Vero