Gary King

Keyword to open a URL in Chrome opens two windows

I use Firefox as my default browser. However, some websites I only want to open in Chrome, so I setup a keyword for them, which opens the URL in Chrome.

When Chrome isn't running and I run the keyword, Chrome opens two windows. One window has the URL I want, and the other window is just a blank tab.

Why does Alfred open two Chrome windows? Is there a way to prevent the blank window from opening?

Strangely enough it doesn't always happen. Sometimes only the URL I requested appears, and no other blank tabs.

But if someone could shed some insight into why this occasionally happens, that'd be much appreciated!

Posted (edited)

I've found this old thread by search for the exact same issue. If I start a web search right from within Alfred, and Firefox isn't running yet, it will start it with two windows. One which has a blank page and another with the search result. Is there a way to prevent this?

I'm running Alfred 4.1, Firefox 78.0.2 on macOS 10.15.6

Edited by verpixelt

1 hour ago, verpixelt said:

Is there a way to prevent this?

Ensure Firefox is running before you open the URL.

This isn't something Alfred is doing: if you end up with a new, empty window when you open a URL with a browser that isn't running, it's the browser's fault.

Thanks @deanishe. I've dug a bit and found a bunch of old threads on the Bugzilla website. This is indeed a bug in Firefox which causes links from other apps to open two windows if FF wasn't running before.