Changing Default (⏎) Action?

Hi, I have set up my system to use several EncFS folders, which use OSXFUSE and evidently appear as volumes.

I also use Path Finder as my default file browser.

When I use Alfred to locate my EncFS folders, they open in Finder using the default (⏎) action. I've made myself a file trigger to "Open in Pathfinder" that I can access by hitting →, but I wanted to know if I could have this action be made the default ⏎ action for specific filetypes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have set up my system to use several EncFS folders, which use OSXFUSE and evidently appear as volumes.

I also use Path Finder as my default file browser.

When I use Alfred to locate my EncFS folders, they open in Finder using the default (⏎) action. I've made myself a file trigger to "Open in Pathfinder" that I can access by hitting →, but I wanted to know if I could have this action be made the default ⏎ action for specific filetypes?

If you setup a simple workflow with a file filter, the action will define how the selected result is actioned, so you could use an "Open File" action so the item will open directly with Path Finder... so essentially, your workflow will be:

File Filter -> Open File

You could put this in the same workflow as your file trigger workflow :)

Cheers,

Andrew

• 11 months later...

This solution appears to require a keyword to activate the File Filter in the workflow (I've implemented a similar workflow with ForkLift 3). Is there any way to use a Workflow to set the true default file action i.e. type in a file and hit ⏎, with no keywords or hotkeys?

1 hour ago, Joel Becker said:

Is there any way to use a Workflow to set the true default file action i.e. type in a file and hit ⏎, with no keywords or hotkey

Nope. If you want to change the application that folders are opened in, you need to change the default application for folders.

A kludgy alternative is to assign your usual Alfred hotkey to a workflow action that calls Alfred via AppleScript with the keyword for your File Filter/Script Filter. If you want to use Alfred's normal mode, just delete the keyword.