Password store workflow

Hello all,

I'm new here, but recently started using Alfred on daily basis. I've been having problems working with passwords so I've created my own workflow just for retrieving credentials through Alfred app for password store created with pass utility, the usage is pretty simple: just type p followed by a password phrase from your password store, then select matching entry and password will be copied to the clipboard.

I've written short blog post about it @ http://blog.konradwasowicz.com/magical-passwords-and-how-to-wrangle-them/ . You can find ready to use workflow on my github account https://github.com/exaroth/alfred-password-store. It's my first workflow so If you have any issues with it I'll be happy to fix them, also comments are super welcome.

Cheers

Regarding your blog post:

all my personal password data was handled by external company, meaning not only it could be accessed by a 3rd party but also it could prevent me from retrieving it.

That's 100% false. AgileBits does not have access to your passwords. Encryption/decryption takes place solely on your devices. There is also no requirement that your data ever leave your own devices. If you need to sync, you can do that directly between devices over WiFi.

As for preventing you retrieving your data, you can export them at any time from the desktop application.

Thanks for clarification, didn't know that, I've updated the blog post to reflect it. Still I prefer having passwords stored as encrypted files, if only for the sake of simplicity, truth be told the workflow meets about 95% of what i require from password management system so paying additional for the 1password didn't make sense to me.

1Password stores your passwords as encrypted files, but not ones any other program can decrypt, so yeah…

And it is pretty expensive. I'd prefer an open source solution, but I'm not aware of any good ones that work on iOS and OS X. So if you know of any, let me know…