1password integration high level description

I'm curious how this works exactly(ish). 

When I enable integration, I see a list of 1password items listed. 

When I do: 1p amazon.com

What is happening? Is Alfred communicating directly with 1password when I run that command? (I would assume so.) What data is being passed back and forth? 

I assume what's happening...

--Alfred caches a list of available logins sans credentials (refreshed when?)

--1p ${somesite.com}

--Alfred matches my search string to a login

--Alfred requests 1password log on to that site

--1password requests a browser be opened for that website

--1password fills in form data from that login and submits the form

I assume there's not a way to pull the credentials themselves out of 1password? That would be convenient for a use case I have, but that seems an incredible security hole from 1password's perspective. I could see it more if they allowed you to register processes with 1password for that level of access. As it is, it seems all (of what's available) or nothing from 1password's perspective given that you just check a box for integration functionality. 

You have to turn on 3rd-party integration in 1Password. It exports a JSON list of your bookmarks (URL, title, ID) that Alfred reads.

If you've watched what happens when you use 1Password from Alfred, you'll notice that it opens a URL like http://www.example.com/?onepasswordfill=ABCXYZ

The 1Password browser extension detects the URL and uses the ID to insert the correct username and/or password. 1Password does not share your passwords with Alfred (or other apps).

@eeyoredragon Dean is correct, Alfred never has access to any of your 1Password data except an extremely high level overview of logins when you enable 3rd party integration in 1Password. The data Alfred has access to is essentially limited to item name, website url and uuid.

When you ask Alfred to open anything from 1Password, Alfred does one of two things depending on the type of item: it'll either open a URL directly which includes a UUID which the browser 1Password plugin recognises and processes, or Alfred will ask 1Password to open the item directly.

In both cases, if 1Password is locked, 1Password will ask for your passphrase before processing the item.

So, to answer your question: There is no way for Alfred to access any data within 1Password.

Cheers,

Andrew