Template workflow: File Search with Custom Actions

After a short discussion in this thread (with @PopSquirrel) I decided to create a workflow that allows me to use custom actions (i.e. any workflow actions) on files and folders. The intention is to replace the settings that can be made under Advanced > Action Modifiers. I've included the full HOW TO USE below. 

Download TEMPLATE - File Search with Custom Actions from my GitHub

Note: This workflow doesn't do anything "out of the box". It's a template that you can use to create your own customised actions. 

Examples of usage:

• Call a File Action workflow without go to the File Action menu. I use this with RenameAction (by @vitor)
  • Use it with basically any workflow that takes a path as input. I use it this way with Open in Finder Tab (by @mix1009)
  • Open a file with a specified app. I have Preview as default app for images, therefore I've added an Open File with Photoshop-action 
  • Get creative and comment below ;)

Screenshot from my configuration of the workflow:

Screenshot

HOW TO USE

• This workflow allowes you to use custom actions (i.e. any workflow actions) on files and folders. 
  • The intention is to replace the settings that can be made under Advanced > Action Modifiers.
  • This is a template workflow - you'll have to add your desired actions, modifers etcetera for the workflow to actually do anyting. 
  • Likewise you might want to change the keyword. Personally I use a the same as Alfreds default File Search, a single quote: '
  • The pink blocks gives you two different paths depedning on if you're actioning a file or folder. You might want to copy these to use with other modifiers as well.

On 15/08/2017 at 7:06 PM, pontus said:

i.e. any workflow actions

What does that mean exactly?

On 15/08/2017 at 7:06 PM, pontus said:

You might want to copy these to use with other modifiers as well.

Rather than creating a bunch of duplicates, you'd probably want to use a Junction Utility to connect them all to the same two actions.

Hi deanishe,

3 hours ago, deanishe said:

Rather than creating a bunch of duplicates, you'd probably want to use a Junction Utility to connect them all to the same two actions.

No, that would mean that the same two things would happen even if you use different modifiers and that's not a desired behavior. 

3 hours ago, deanishe said:

What does that mean exactly

It means that you can replace the actions I've put in the workflow with anything you prefer, that handles a file path as argument.

A simple (and useless) example would be to connect the Large Type block instead of Open File. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, pontus said:

No, that would mean that the same two things would happen even if you use different modifiers and that's not a desired behavior.

No it wouldn't. Modifiers are set on the connections to the Junctions.

1 hour ago, pontus said:

It means that you can replace the actions I've put in the workflow with anything you prefer

Right. I thought you were talking about something more exotic.

9 hours ago, pontus said:

I don't know how to do that, but it sounds useful.

The same as you have done.

There's no need to make copies of your actions (unless they're different). You can connect multiple Script/List filters to a single action, and assign a different modifier to each connection.

All a Junction lets you do is make the connections a bit tidier, which can be helpful if you have loads of actions and/or filters.

44 minutes ago, pontus said:

kinda defeats the purpose with a file search for me

Then I think you might not have fully embraced The Alfred Way. 

Under the hood, Alfred uses the exact same search index and API as Spotlight. What sets it apart is the ability to create laser-focussed searches that are lightning fast, precisely because you're not searching everything. If you treat Alfred like Spotlight, you might as well just use Spotlight.

Alfred's docs strongly encourage creating multiple, tightly-focussed searches, rather than one great-big one.

You can treat Alfred as a Spotlight replacement with a few added smarts, but you're missing out on a lot by using it that way.

It's possible I'm at the extreme end of the spectrum with 15+ different File Filters, but I honestly doubt it.

That's how you're supposed to use Alfred, and as a rule, it will serve you better if you use it that way.