Workflows that call bash scripts

Kyle Bradbury

Using https://github.com/tilmanginzel/alfred-bluetooth-workflow as an example:

This workflow initiates executable scripts, which are currently being blocked by Gatekeeper. When running this workflow, you get the message: " 'etree.so' cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software”. If you go to Security & Privacy there is an option to "Open Anyway" next to the message " 'etree.so' was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer." However, pressing the button does nothing. The only way I am able to run this workflow currently is by disabling Gatekeeper. 

This behavior is new to Catalina, as previously the executable scripts could run without being flagged.

edit:
Catalina Version 10.15 Beta (19A512f)
Alfred 4.0.3 (1092)

Edited by Kyle Bradbury

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Tilman said:

XPath expressions, which were not possible with the built-in library due to limited support

There are only a couple of them. Shouldn't be hard to translate to the built-in ElementTree, and LXML is an awfully large dependency just to run a couple of XPaths.

Thanks! Linked to it in my issue. :)

I suppose that it would still be possible to correctly notarize my workflow and/or the distributed binaries. Will take more time though to look into it...

Edited by Tilman

8 minutes ago, Tilman said:

I suppose that it would still be possible to correctly notarize (and maybe even staple) my workflow and/or the distributed binaries.

Not sure. I get the impression notarization is only for native software. In any case, I'm 99% certain you need a non-free Apple Developer ID.

I suspect there may be an easier way to allow binaries using sudo spctl ...

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, mmroczka said:

So is this the explanation on why this gem has stopped running? It uses a bash script under the hood.

No. The thread title is misleading. Scripts should still work just fine, it's binary files that Catalina won't run without jumping through hoops.

What error message are you getting in Alfred's debugger?