Alfred prefs minimum window width too wide for my display

I use a 20" monitor in portrait mode, 1050 x 1680. Apple Cinema Display

The Alfred window is 1180 so does not fit.

I don't mind things getting a little more compress if I was able to resize the window to a narrower width.

Is it possible the minimum window width can be decreased?

Thanks!

ps: I tried changing window placement in plist, but Alfred resets it on launch.

Edited by gingerbeardman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Alfred's dad, Andrew - Any chance this fix is on your radar?  The reason I purchased Alfred was that my screen/computer work experience is more productive.  Preferences is not a one time visit thus am currently forced to push and pull this window with each use.  Please provide an update to your July 2020 comment.  I work on a Macbook Pro 13".  Thank you in advance.  Sunny

@Sunny Could you please provide more details on what your settings are on your MBP 13"?

Have you switched your display to the largest text size? Alfred's preferences can fit with space to spare on a 13" even when selecting a display scaled to one level larger than default. When choosing the largest text size scaling, macOS notifies the user that apps may not fit entirely on the screen. 

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 11.05.08.png

As Andrew said in 2020, the whole preferences would need to be redesigned to allow the window to scale beyond what it already accommodates, so we'll keep this in mind as preferences are updated over time. 

We also still recognise the corner case of having a small portrait orientation display in the original post.

Cheers,
Vero

@gingerbeardman Could you give me more details of your resolution and setup? I use a 25" screen in portrait mode for my second display and there's quite a bit of space remaining around the preferences.

Are you using a very low resolution monitor or set your display to be scaled to larger than default? And is this your second display? Or do you use it as your primary, in which case I would imagine an awful lot of apps don't fit comfortably.

While this remains a very corner case, I'd be curious to understand the dimensions and settings you're working with for future reference.

Cheers,
Vero

Of course, I use a DELL P2415Q Display, that's 24" with a native resolution of (3840 x 2160).

Portrait running at retina resolution (1080 x 1920)

• That's not scaled or zoomed, just standard plug and play "default for display".
  • This is my main display (I'm a programmer and prefer long windows)
  • I have not found any other apps that do not fit this width, let me know if you want me to test any in particular.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the UI in all previous versions of Alfred was so much more compact than V4.

I'm aware that eventually there will be Alfred V5, which I hope returns to a more accessible - maybe even resizable? - window width.

Thanks for your consideration

edit: added screenshot 

Screen shot 2021-03-05 at 14.34.53.png

Edited by gingerbeardman

Have you looked at the options for your screen under the "Scaled" radio button? As you have a retina screen, you should be able to keep it in retina but give yourself a little bit more space on the screen.

1 hour ago, gingerbeardman said:

What display do you use in portrait @Vero?

I'm using a Dell UltraSharp 25 inch, at the default 1440 x 2560 resolution, and there's generous amounts of space to navigate the preferences and most apps.

Alfred's preferences at their smallest are under 1200px wide by 650px or so high (from memory), which can be accommodated even on the smallest 11" MacBook. As such, it's unlikely that we'll make the preferences even smaller than this in the future - unless Apple bring out some sort of micro-laptop we need to support ;) 

Cheers,
Vero

As a workaround I can temporarily change the scaling on my monitor. 

But I need sharp retina @2x for my work, other scaling factors aren't desirable.

If your Dell monitor was Retina that would be an ideal resolution.

A resizable preference window would be the ideal solution, then users can make the window bigger (to accommodate more complex workflows) or smaller according to their needs/display. I used to fullscreen the app in Alfred 3 days.

Woah, I just found a workaround! If I option-click the green maximise button the window width will decrease past the normal minimum to fit my display. Hurrah!

A few elements extend off the screen on a couple of tabs, but it's totally workable for me.

Please don't change this functionality, if you deem this a bug, LOL

🙏

Edited by gingerbeardman

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, xanimus said:

I have Alfred v5. Is it somehow possible to make the input with more than 1024px? I can't drag the window past that in Appearance settings. I have a 4k screen

That's a different issue, you'll have more luck with a diagnosis/answer if you start your own thread.

Edited by gingerbeardman