insert a password into a file

I've created a workflow that opens a file in a specific app and the file requires a password. Is there a way to insert a string of text into the workflow after a file is opened so that I won't have to type and retype a password that is connected to the file? And if there is a way, is there also a way to keep the string of text in the workflow hidden?  I guess I wouldn't necessarily need to keep it hidden because the chances of someone knowing the input key to open the workflow is probably quite slim. Thanks for any help!

42 minutes ago, ajoyce said:

Is there a way to insert a string of text into the workflow after a file is opened so that I won't have to type and retype a password that is connected to the file?

That all depends on how you need to enter the password. We can't answer that without knowing specifically what you're talking about.

43 minutes ago, ajoyce said:

And if there is a way, is there also a way to keep the string of text in the workflow hidden?

You can store it in the macOS Keychain using the /usr/bin/security tool.

43 minutes ago, ajoyce said:

I guess I wouldn't necessarily need to keep it hidden because the chances of someone knowing the input key to open the workflow is probably quite slim.

That generally isn't how someone trying to guess your passwords would do it.

My workflow will open an app and then open a file connected to that app. I then want to automatically fill in a text field with some designated text and then press the return key as an automatic response, if possible.  The other items in my original post aren't important. If I can do the first thing in the post, I'm conten with that.

Edited by ajoyce
added info

Unfortunately there’s no standard way to input into a text field in a newly-opened app - you’ll need to use UI scripting in AppleScript or some other capabilities related to the app to input it.  Without knowing what app it is, it’s going to be hard for anyone to offer any further help.