Enable/Disable Chrome Extensions

I'm always enabling/disabling Chrome extensions to save RAM, to only use the ram I need.

Right now I use an extension for this task called "One Click Extensions Manager", which is ok.

But it could be much more than ok if I could type a key like "enable" or whatever and Alfred would list all disabled extensions, and I could just select what to activate and press Enter. And vice-versa, of course.

Thanks!

I'm always enabling/disabling Chrome extensions to save RAM, to only use the ram I need.

Right now I use an extension for this task called "One Click Extensions Manager", which is ok.

But it could be much more than ok if I could type a key like "enable" or whatever and Alfred would list all disabled extensions, and I could just select what to activate and press Enter. And vice-versa, of course.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that this can be done. I would have to see how they are stored and what determines their status (enabled/disabled). If it's as simple as toggling a value in a file, this may be possible. I'll see if I can check into it.

Thanks!

It appears that the list of available Chrome extensions is saved inside your main preferences file. Google highly suggests that you don't modify this file except by changing settings within the Chrome interface. Otherwise, you could end up hosing your preferences file. If you were so brave, it appears that you may be able to parse the json formatted preferences file and display the name and state of each extension and use that to turn them on and off. The downside is, I'm not sure that you would change that state value and it turn it off immediately. It may be one of those things where you would change the value and then have to restart Chrome for it to take affect which, I'm sure is not what you are looking for.

• 7 months later...

it appears that you may be able to parse the json formatted preferences file and display the name and state of each extension and use that to turn them on and off

From my (very limited) tests, you cannot. You can change the state on the file, but if Chrome is still running, it’ll just revert it back.