Recommendation for MacOS 12.4 Visual Studio Code and Jetbrains Rider workflow

3 hours ago, akame said:

But I am getting an error with Rider.

Any error you should ask about in the repo. The developer will be in the best position to know what’s wrong and help. But you have at least 10 choices from which to pick from.

3 hours ago, akame said:

would you consider the two workflow you mention as safe to use in enterprise? Does any of them send any internet / data out from my machine?

I looked at the code of the VS Code Workflow and it doesn’t send any data out or do anything shady. Haven’t checked the node one, but there’s never been a nefarious Workflow. Because it uses node/npm and pulls some dependencies from there, it will depend on your trust in that ecosystem. Since you’re already using VS Code (made with Electron) and a proprietary JetBrains editor, it seems you trust that. But as linked above, there are several alternatives. Another may fit your needs better and/or not have the issue you’re facing.

3 minutes ago, vitor said:

Any error you should ask about in the repo. The developer will be in the best position to know what’s wrong and help. But you have at least 10 choices from which to pick from.

I looked at the code of the VS Code Workflow and it doesn’t send any data out or do anything shady. Haven’t checked the node one, but there’s never been a nefarious Workflow. Because it uses node/npm and pulls some dependencies from there, it will depend on your trust in that ecosystem. Since you’re already using VS Code (made with Electron) and a proprietary JetBrains editor, it seems you trust that. But as linked above, there are several alternatives. Another may fit your needs better and/or not have the issue you’re facing.

Thanks again for the reply. 

Which and how other places can I find more workflows for developers and business users? Or you know any safe alternatives?

Do you know How can I read or analyze if a workflow is malicious or compromising data?

@vitor

Edited by akame
52 minutes ago, akame said:

Which and how other places can I find more workflows for developers and business users?

This forum is the current official place. Here’re also two “awesome-lists” of Alfred Workflows which may serve you nicely:

Reddit may also be a good source.

55 minutes ago, akame said:

Or you know any safe alternatives?

Do you know How can I read or analyze if a workflow is malicious or compromising data?

As I said, there’s never been a case of a nefarious Workflow. As with all software, including macOS itself, you should define your own level of trust. In general, start with the Workflows of users you recognise (e.g. from the forums) as making high quality Workflows. Looking at the numbers of watchers/forks/stars on GitHub (top right) can be a fair indicator of a Workflow’s popularity and how many eyeballs it has had.

To analyse a Workflow yourself, reading the code is the best way. You can also use tools like Lulu or LittleSnitch to check the connections a Workflow makes while using it. Keep in mind there are many legitimate reasons for connections to the web: checking for updates and accessing an API (when relevant) are expected and beneficial. I’ve never seen a Workflow collect analytics, let alone something else.

2 minutes ago, akame said:

What amount of stars on a workflow repo is kind of safe / popular? Or watchers or fork?

There’s no answer to that. The bigger the number, the likelier more people have looked at it and use it.

3 minutes ago, akame said:

are you using little snitch or lulu to inspect before you are using a work flow?

No. There was never the need, and every time I’ve inspected a Workflow (many) it did what it said.

3 hours ago, akame said:

Sadly it seems like none of the following jet brains workflow is working 😕

With so many relatively popular and several having gotten recent updates, that seems unlikely. It’s more probable you’re not doing some required setup, but it’s impossible to tell without more information. I don’t use JetBrains’ tools so can’t test. As mentioned above, to get proper help for a Workflow you should ask the developer directly on GitHub.