Snippet adds an extra space on Apple Messages

Hi 

I write in English and french. I made some snippets to make the french accents faster. For example, if I want to have "é", my keyword is "e==".

I write "conge==", it becomes "congé". All of that works great, except in Apple Messages. It becomes "cong é" It adds an extra space. Is there any way fix that?

Thanks

A

Sorry this is a rather indirect reply to your problem but I thought it worth pointing out that Messages seems to have a problem with some expansions. I don't use Snippets because I've always used Typinator extensively. I have a Typinator "sinppet" which converts a time, like "6.00am" to "6.00 a.m.". It works perfectly everywhere save in Messages, where it produces "6.0 0 a.m.".

Stephen

Snippet expansion works by, once you type your trigger, deleting your keyword then pasting what you want. With that in mind we can perform a short test: copy é to your clipboard, then type cong in Messages followed by ⌘V. The space is added too!

Now that we know the issue is how Messages handles pasted text, you just have to find the option to turn the behaviour off. It’s in Edit → Substitutions → Smart Insert/Delete. Uncheck that and it’ll start working like you want.