- I can paste the copied text into a document

- I can see the copied text in Finder > Edit > Show Clipboard window

- I can see the copied text in the old macOS Clipboard Viewer.app

Workaround

- Select the text and press Cmd+C

- This way the text appears in Alfred's Clipboard History

Thanks

Edited by gingerbeardman

Clipboard Viewer app is part of "Additional Tools for Xcode", at https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=clipboard

I thought to check other non-standard ways of copying text into the clipboard, but the ones I have found are not affected. Example copying a generated share link from a Dropbox webpage, shows up fine in Alfred Clipboard History.

Edited by gingerbeardman

Alfred is ignoring the text because the DeepL app is marking it as org.nspasteboard.AutoGeneratedType. To have it show up in history, untick the checkbox at Alfred Preferences → Clipboard History → Advanced → Ignore clipboard data marked as Auto Generated.

One could argue the DeepL app shouldn’t be marking the text as org.nspasteboard.AutoGeneratedType, though. It’s an odd choice since the copy is intentional. Maybe it’s not on purpose, they could e.g. be using a library to handle the copy and that does it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 1:44 AM, iandol said:

Somewhat offtopic but this free app is a modern replacement of the XCode clipboard viewer: https://sindresorhus.com/pasteboard-viewer

I am not keen on this developer as they only support the latest version of macOS for most of their apps.

I bought multiple of their apps and support was withdrawn a few months later with no warning.

This has happened at least twice, and leaves a bad taste. I try to support developers and then they pull stuff like this. 

Edited by gingerbeardman

Well, the whole Apple ecosystem is not focussed on backwards compatibility (top-down from Apple really). If you develop free tools, I do understand if you adopt the new APIs that Apple introduces, there is a lot of new shiny every year, and some of it is useful. Those who develop commerical Mac apps spend a *lot* of time dealing with compatibility across macOS releases, and this accounts for a significant chunk of development time and is utterly frustrating (dealing with the vast undocumented underbelly of the macOS ecosystem and the utterly opaque Apple bug tracking system...)