Reddit Browser

Features
- Browse subreddits, switch between subreddits.
- No reddit account needed. 
- Save scrolling positions, mark posts as new, old or visited.
- Can also browse hackernews.

- Minimum upvotes to display posts, customizable sorting method.

- Optionally open posts in old reddit.
- Due to smart caching, this workflow should never hit API rate limits (under normal usage).

➡️ Download: https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-reddit-browser/releases/latest

Pastedimage2023-08-11at10_33.24@2x.thumb.png.87eeacde9bd8c9fdde07b936b9eaadf1.png

Pastedimage2023-08-11at10_41.29@2x.png.9998b2265168af9f4a40a1ec86a7a4b9.png

Pastedimage2023-08-11at19_06.25@2x.thumb.png.3a8821200554fe533137ccb2f501f82f.png

Edited by pseudometa
add screenshot of all the settings
2 hours ago, dood said:

This is fantastic, @pseudometa! Would it be possible to set user-defined upvote thresholds? (i.e. to show only posts with at least X upvotes)

Haven't thought of that, but that's actually a good idea!

Added a minimum number of upvotes as a new setting with the latest release: https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-reddit-browser/releases/download/1.1.0/alfred-reddit-browser.alfredworkflow

3 minutes ago, dood said:

@pseudometa Don't mean to give you more work, but it'd be awesome if we could set specific upvote thresholds for individual subreddits (since these can vary greatly according to the size of the subreddit) 🙈 No worries if this isn't possible

no worries, there is no harm in asking!

I was thinking about that too, and while it technically not hard to implement, the tricky thing would be how to create a good interface for the user to configure it. Alfred currently does not allow to flexibly change the number of configuration options, so it would have to be done in all in a big text field, which in turn can be prone to errors when by the user. 

Anyway, it's in my mind and if the workflow has more users, I'll try to think of something (right now, the workflow only has two dozen downloads, compared to other workflows/plugins with thousands of downloads, so I gotta prioritize where I spend the time I have 😅)

• 2 weeks later...

@pseudometa I noticed that the "old.reddit.com" setting only applies to opening a post in the browser... When I Quick Look a post in Alfred using the Shift Key, the window opens with the new Reddit interface.

Would it be possible to make the "old.reddit.com" setting apply to the Quick Look URL as well? Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep getting this error for any subs I've added to the workflow.

"title":"r/Alfred","subtitle":"⚠️ error or subreddit not found (see debugging log) 👥 5 878","arg":"Alfred","icon":{"path":"icon.png"

Any ideas?

8 hours ago, hedkase said:

see debugging log

I suggest you copy and paste the debugging log here. Alternatively open the debugger, run the workflow and copy and paste the full output of the debigger here. That may help the workflow author diagnose the problem.

Welcome to the forum.

Stephen

@Stephen_C

oh right, guess that would help.

[23:30:38.757] Logging Started...
[23:30:47.846] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[23:30:48.938] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[23:30:48.944] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] {"items":[{"title":"r/PleX","subtitle":"⚠️ error or subreddit not found (see debugging log) 👥 288 476","arg":"PleX","icon":{"path":"icon.png"}},{"title":"r/CrucibleGuidebook","subtitle":"👥 32 563","arg":"CrucibleGuidebook","icon":{"path":"/Users/dylaneddy/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/de.chris-grieser.reddit-browser/CrucibleGuidebook.png"}},{"title":"r/radarr","subtitle":"👥 70 796","arg":"radarr","icon":{"path":"/Users/dylaneddy/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/de.chris-grieser.reddit-browser/radarr.png"}},{"title":"r/sonarr","subtitle":"👥 59 456","arg":"sonarr","icon":{"path":"/Users/dylaneddy/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/de.chris-grieser.reddit-browser/sonarr.png"}},{"title":"r/Alfred","subtitle":"⚠️ error or subreddit not found (see debugging log) 👥 5 878","arg":"Alfred","icon":{"path":"icon.png"}},{"title":"r/handbrake","subtitle":"⚠️ error or subreddit not found (see debugging log) 👥 10 391","arg":"handbrake","icon":{"path":"icon.png"}},{"title":"r/synology","subtitle":"👥 138 528","arg":"synology","icon":{"path":"/Users/dylaneddy/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Workflow Data/de.chris-grieser.reddit-browser/synology.png"}}]}

@hedkase Okay, I figured it out then. The issue is simply an error warning when the subreddit has no icon. Workflow works completely fine by defaulting to the default icon, only falsely throws an error even though there is none.

Fixed the issue in release 1.3.5. You can directly download the new version directly here, or wait 1-2 days for the Alfred Gallery to update.

(In case you directly download the fix, it will show an "update available" icon next to the workflow for a day or two until the Alfred Gallery is updated to include the new version, do not update it then, since it will revert you to 1.3.3, which is currently the most recent version on the Gallery.)

https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-reddit-browser/releases/download/1.3.5/alfred-reddit-browser.alfredworkflow

1 hour ago, pseudometa said:

@hedkase Okay, I figured it out then. The issue is simply an error warning when the subreddit has no icon. Workflow works completely fine by defaulting to the default icon, only falsely throws an error even though there is none.

Fixed the issue in release 1.3.5. You can directly download the new version directly here, or wait 1-2 days for the Alfred Gallery to update.

(In case you directly download the fix, it will show an "update available" icon next to the workflow for a day or two until the Alfred Gallery is updated to include the new version, do not update it then, since it will revert you to 1.3.3, which is currently the most recent version on the Gallery.)

https://github.com/chrisgrieser/alfred-reddit-browser/releases/download/1.3.5/alfred-reddit-browser.alfredworkflow

thanks for the explanation and the fix!

• 1 month later...

Hi @pseudometa, the option to skip to the next subreddit doesn't seem to be working for me

image.thumb.gif.da08ed97897ea1e89ace6f63bb3491e5.gif

Here's the debug:

[10:51:32.900] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Passing output 'next' to Run Script
[10:51:33.011] Reddit Browser[Run Script] Processing complete
[10:51:33.023] Reddit Browser[Run Script] Passing output '' to Call External Trigger
[10:51:33.027] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Running directly with argument ''
[10:51:33.042] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[10:51:33.744] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[10:51:33.754] Reddit Browser[Script Filter] {"variables":{"cacheWasUpdated":"false"},"skipknowledge":true,"items":[{"title":"Alfred 5.5 Beta: Exciting New Workflow Views & ChatGPT/DALL-E integrations","subtitle":"🆕 61↑  35●  ","arg":"https://old.reddit.com/r/Alfred/comments/1b0nvyj/alfred_55_beta_exciting_new_workflow_views/","icon":{"path":"icon.png"},"quicklookurl":"https://old.reddit.com/r/Alfred/comments/1b0nvyj/alfred_55_beta_exciting_new_workflow_views/","mods":{"cmd":{"arg":"next"},"cmd+shift":{"arg":"prev"},"shift":{"valid":false,"arg":"","subtitle":"⇧:  No External URL"}}}]}

Posted (edited)

@doodCannot tell via the debugging log alone, really. Just to be safe: do you have more than one subreddit added in your configuration?

If so, could you share your config, so I can have a look whether it's an issue related to a specific setting?

Edited by pseudometa