Workflow to forward a gmail message to a specific email address and edit the subject line

I've been working on this for hours with no success. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe it's something to do with Gmail.  Workflow attached. I have no idea why there's a "filter" circle on the connector between the keyword and the "f" key combo

MacOS Ventura, MacBook, Alfred 5 Pro, Google Workspace --> gmail

When I have a gmail message open, with a hotkey, I want to forward a message to a specific email address (one of my email storages) and move the cursor to the end of the subject line so I can append to the subject.

I want to use the hotkey  "zzz"

Here's the workflow:

1. send an "f" to set up the forwarding box in Gmail
  2. type out an email string   "xxx@yyy.com"  (i set this up as a copy to clipboard and then paste)
  3. send shift-tab three times to move to the twisty next to the "from email address" that is the "type of response"
  4. send down arrow three to get to the "edit subject" on the drop down
  5. Send "enter"
  6. send "cmd-right arrow" to move to the end of the subject line
  7. send "space" and then "@" so as to append  "@" to the subject line
  8. Then end the workflow

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 15.38.35.png

1 hour ago, snsokstan said:

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

What you’re doing is called GUI automation. Your problem is likely that the actions are happening too fast, before Gmail’s interface has had time to react. Add some Delay Utilities between the actions.

1 hour ago, snsokstan said:

I have no idea why there's a "filter" circle on the connector between the keyword and the "f" key combo

That’s not a filter circle, it’s just describing the connection. Double-click it to see additional options, but that’s not relevant to your workflow.

54 minutes ago, vitor said:

What you’re doing is called GUI automation. Your problem is likely that the actions are happening too fast, before Gmail’s interface has had time to react. Add some Delay Utilities between the actions.

That’s not a filter circle, it’s just describing the connection. Double-click it to see additional options, but that’s not relevant to your workflow.

So I just tried the workflow on  a text editing program (TextEdit) and it turns out the keyword "zzz" isn't activating anything. I added 3 1-second delays and still nothing is happening. 

The problem is more global. None of my other keyword workflows are working, including the one delivered called "gettingstarted".  I've rebooted, checked that all the workflows are enabled (right-click) and Alfred has full disc access in System Preferences. I saw this article but this shouldn't apply to a keyword workflow that I just created.I also did the Rebuild MacOS metadata in Alfred preferences. The settings for input monitoring in system preferences is also enabled for Alfred.

My snippets are working and option-spacebar still brings up the Alfred input box.

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 17.15.24.png

Edited by snsokstan
27 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

it turns out the keyword "zzz" isn't activating anything.

What are your exact steps to run the keyword? What does the debugger say?

28 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

I added 3 1-second delays and still nothing is happening. 

Those are just overlayed on the existing connections, they aren’t doing anything. You have to connect to and from them. I recommend you see the Getting Started Guide for an interactive tutorial on making a workflow.

30 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

including the one delivered called "gettingstarted".

Please be more specific. There are multiple workflows in Getting Started.

14 hours ago, vitor said:

Those are just overlayed on the existing connections, they aren’t doing anything. You have to connect to and from them. I recommend you see the Getting Started Guide for an interactive tutorial on making a workflow.

Please be more specific. There are multiple workflows in Getting Started.

type out  zzz and press Enter.  I have several workflows triggered by keywords and that's what's worked before

Those are just overlayed on the existing connections

When I hover over the delay step, it looks connected. Screenshot attached.  I can post the actual .workflow file to a share drive if that's helpful.

There are multiple workflows in Getting Started

Screenshot attached

Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 09.16.28.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 09.19.38.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 09.20.44.png

You haven’t posted the output from the debugger. That’s the most important part.

Also, check that the Keyword isn’t set to Argument Required. What you want in this case is probably No Argument.

14 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

When I hover over the delay step, it looks connected.

The first one is, but the others are not.

Here's a video of nothing happening with a workflow keyword. I included a snippet keyword that shows Alfred is active.

My workflow keyword is not restricted to any particular program.

I guess the question is not what's wrong with this workflow but more about why aren't keyword triggers working?

video (with keyboard clicks!)