Jump to content

[WIP] OnePee: `1p` with iCloud Keychain


Recommended Posts

i've started building a Workflow to log in using iCloud Keychain passwords. i'm using it daily. with the proliferation of passkeys it makes things as smooth as bu'er (but works great with passwords too, with or without OTP). zero click needed.

 

i'm at the point now tho that if i want to make the Workflow customizable, i'm gonna have to rewrite it. hence:

1. are any people interested? if yes please lemme know (one person is enough for me to make a customizable version). the use of the Workflow may be a bit specific as iCloud Keychain only works with Safari. (my browser of choice. just using Brave for dev.)

2. if i make a customizable version, then i will want it on the Alfred Gallery. in that case, @vitor, could you let me know if the current Workflow name would be an issue? i guess so but i'd prefer not changing it if i don't have to (that's the first name that my brain came out with). thank you!

Link to comment
9 hours ago, PhilosopherDog said:

definitely interested.

 

great. thanks for letting me know. will start working on that and will update the thread once i have something not too shit. should be happening within next week ✌️

Link to comment

ok you guys are gonna tag long for that one. i'll be releasing a very dirty early alpha but it'll work. then:

1. i'll be developing it to make it more custom

2. you can ask for standard logins in the GitHub repo and i'll had them

 

the idea is to have a set of standard logins that you'll be able to toggle on or off in the Configuration Builder, but ultimately you'll also be able to create your own custom entries.

Link to comment

I can’t say (because I can’t know) if a workflow which isn’t built yet will be a fit for the Gallery. It is doable to evaluate a workflow that exists but much harder to comment on an idea, even if it’s from someone who no doubt has the skills to execute.


A good rule of thumb is to not build workflows with the explicit goal of being featured in the Gallery. The process is “pull” (creators are contacted for submissions of specific existing workflows) rather than “push” (creators submitting anything unprompted). Even some of my own workflows won’t ever be added and will continue to only exist in the forum and GitHub. That is OK. The goal of the Gallery is not to contain every possible workflow but have some degree of curation.


Regarding the name (and default keyword), it is possible the 1Password folks could have a problem with it. I’m not a lawyer (nor have I played one on TV), but it’s my understanding that in certain jurisdictions you have to defend your trademarks to not lose them. Regardless, since it does not in fact interact with any 1Password product, as it stands it would no doubt generate confusion and support requests.


For reference, the 1Password workflow in the Gallery was created with the full knowledge of the 1Password team, including permission to use the name and icon.

 

Hope that clarifies it. It’s a couple of busy weeks so it may take me a bit longer to reply, but I’m aiming to check your other post soon too. There are already curious parties in this thread, so I’ll be sure to keep an eye out.

Link to comment
15 hours ago, vitor said:

I can’t say (because I can’t know) if a workflow which isn’t built yet will be a fit for the Gallery. It is doable to evaluate a workflow that exists but much harder to comment on an idea, even if it’s from someone who no doubt has the skills to execute.

 

me questioning was more related to the name itself of the Workflow lol

 

15 hours ago, vitor said:

A good rule of thumb is to not build workflows with the explicit goal of being featured in the Gallery. The process is “pull” (creators are contacted for submissions of specific existing workflows) rather than “push” (creators submitting anything unprompted). Even some of my own workflows won’t ever be added and will continue to only exist in the forum and GitHub. That is OK. The goal of the Gallery is not to contain every possible workflow but have some degree of curation.

 

i understand. this is very fair. just for the story, i'm asking because as i'm sure you know i like to craft my Workflows to be very straightforward and delightful for my users, which means the way to get the Workflow updated is important. now having to take care of my own Workflow Updater is a little more painful that i would like it to be (extra Alfred Workflow objects, extra automated tests etc.) so if i can know right away that i can skip that part, that's very nice for me. but ok, understood. i guess as long as the Workflow is in alpha/beta it's fair to expect the users to update manually. so all good. thanks.

 

15 hours ago, vitor said:

Regarding the name (and default keyword), it is possible the 1Password folks could have a problem with it. I’m not a lawyer (nor have I played one on TV), but it’s my understanding that in certain jurisdictions you have to defend your trademarks to not lose them. Regardless, since it does not in fact interact with any 1Password product, as it stands it would no doubt generate confusion and support requests.

 

oh yeah i wasn't even thinking about 1Password 😂😂😂️ i'm not using any of their stuff, except once i add their web login URL in the Workflow (which i could remove if they have a problem with that but that would be very dumb). as stated above i was just curious about the One**Pee**. 

 

15 hours ago, vitor said:

I’m not a lawyer (nor have I played one on TV)

 

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

 

15 hours ago, vitor said:

For reference, the 1Password workflow in the Gallery was created with the full knowledge of the 1Password team, including permission to use the name and icon.

 

Hope that clarifies it. It’s a couple of busy weeks so it may take me a bit longer to reply, but I’m aiming to check your other post soon too. There are already curious parties in this thread, so I’ll be sure to keep an eye out.

 

thank you for the detailed answer and for your time! no worries. no rush no pressure. as you said it's a pull process. i'm aware of that now. so all i can do is post my things and work on the next project. thanks again for all the work and help.

Link to comment

@PhilosopherDog @benlim first release, can you check?: https://github.com/godbout/AlfredOnePee

 

currently Services are hardcoded. lemme know which standard Services you use and i'll add them. later you'll have the possibility to add your custom URLs, and enable/disable the ones provided with the Workflow.

 

doing this a little hardcore so there may be some issues, but still binary should be signed and notarized hence run smoothly. lemme know if you have any issue. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...