Alfred 2.0.3 doesn't respect the user locale in bash scripts, unexpected encoding

mklement0

Bash scripts launched by Alfred in the context of workflows don't respect the OS X user's locale and instead default to the generic "C" locale.

Alfred should use the same locale that is used when a user starts an interactive shell in Terminal.app

(For instance, running locale in Terminal on my US-English system returns:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
)

To verify the problem, use the following test workflow:

To work around the problem, use the following at the beginning of your script:

export LANG="$(defaults read -g AppleLocale).UTF-8" 

Possibly related [update: NOT related - see below]: non-ANSI characters are currently encoded in unexpected ways:

In normal UTF-8 encoding, "ü" should be passed in (via {query}) as the following multi-byte sequence:
  • expected: 0xc3 0xbc
  • instead, Alfred currently passes: 0x75  0xcc  0x88   - 3(!) bytes
Edited by mklement0

+1 for respecting the user locale in Bash scripts.

The issue with the non-ANSI chars was already discussed here and here. The unexpected encoding is due to the decomposition done by NSTask. There is already a workaround for this in the topics.

In normal UTF-8 encoding, "ü" should be passed in (via {query}) as the following multi-byte sequence:

• expected: 0xc3 0xbc
  • instead, Alfred currently passes: 0x75  0xcc  0x88   - 3(!) bytes

Alfred uses NSTask, not Terminal, for running scripts and the UTF-8 normalisation is happening outside of Alfred's hands. If you look at _mk_'s links, I have created a workaround for this issue with a small command line app to renormalise UTF-8.

I've moved this to 'investigating', but there isn't much Alfred can do for now without overhauling some low level build in Cocoa framework.

Thanks, _mk_ and Andrew.

(As an aside: I should have searched the forums for "encoding"; however, I did search for utf (no quotes; rejected as too short), then "utf", "utf8", "utf-8" - none of which produced hits, even though they should.)

I've updated my original post to (a) point out that the encoding issue is unrelated to the locale issue and ( b ) to include a workaround for the locale issue.

To reiterate, add the following at the beginning of your script:

Edited by mklement0

As it turns out, when you invoke a shell script via do shell script from an NSAppleScript action, UTF-8 encoding works as expected (no decomposition).

Based on that, I came up with a workaround that ensures:

• that the user's locale is in effect in the bash script invoked
  • that UTF-8 encoding works as expected - without the need for an external utility.
  • that the entire query string is passed correctly to the script invoked as a single parameter - AppleScript takes care of escaping with quoted form of.

The basic approach is to have a shell script invoked with a carefully crafted command line from a helper NSAppleScript action rather than directly.

Because do shell script defaults to / as the working directory (rather than the workflow's folder), I had to determine the workflow's own folder beforehand, which turned out to be non-trivial.

Aside: Does Alfred provide a way to for a workflow to query its own folder path?

The workaround is demonstrated in the following workflow:

Given the amount of code involved, I'm not sure if the workaround is worth it, but perhaps there's something useful in there.

Here's the code stored in the NSAppleScript action:

on alfred_script(q)
  # -------- BEGIN: MUST BE CUSTOMIZED
  # * Create a bash script in this workflow's folder,
  #   which will be invoked below.
  #   IMPORTANT: use a UNIQUE NAME, such as created with `uuidgen`, e.g.:
  #     "D0ACD509-E05A-4B5C-B45A-B2A7DECE0938.sh"
  # * Fill in this unique name on the next line.
  set shScriptName to "D0ACD509-E05A-4B5C-B45A-B2A7DECE0938.sh"
  # -------- END: MUST BE CUSTOMIZED

# The workaround command string that ensures
  # - use of the current OS X user's locale
  # - normal (non-decomposed) UTF-8 encoding of non-ANSI characters.
  set workaroundCmd to "export LANG='" & user locale of (system info) & ".UTF-8'"  

# Determine the parent folder of where Alfred's preferences are stored.
set prefsFolderParent to do shell script "defaults read ~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences.plist syncfolder | sed -E 's:^~:'$HOME':'"

# Determine THIS workflow's folder, via globbing and its unique script name.
  # Note: We canNOT use a workflow UID, because it changes on every export
  # and import.
  set thisFolder to do shell script "dirname \"$(echo " & quoted form of (prefsFolderParent & "/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.") & "*/" & quoted form of shScriptName & ")\""

# Synthesize the cd command to change to this workflow's folder.
  set cdCmd to "cd " & quoted form of thisFolder

# Construct the whole command line, passing q as a single,
  # properly escaped parameter.
  set cmdLine to workaroundCmd & "; " & cdCmd & "; /bin/bash ./" & shScriptName & " " & quoted form of q

# Invoke the entire command line and pass out its stdout output.
  do shell script cmdLine

end alfred_script
Edited by mklement0

I think the AS solution is a bit overkill just to get the user locale. Doing the re-normalisation of the query with Andrews tool and getting the locale with

seems the be the easier solution for me. That way you can also avoid the logic to find the workflow directory.