Confused about iTunes keyboard shortcuts

I can't seem to get the keyboard shortcuts (outlined here) to work, i.e. bringing up the mini player and using ctrl-cmd-right won't skip to the next track. I seem to remember them working awhile ago. I'm on 10.8.5 and latest version of Alfred 2 powerpack.

Am I required to set up a workflow for these hotkeys, or is something else going on?

I can't seem to get the keyboard shortcuts (outlined here) to work, i.e. bringing up the mini player and using ctrl-cmd-right won't skip to the next track. I seem to remember them working awhile ago. I'm on 10.8.5 and latest version of Alfred 2 powerpack.

Am I required to set up a workflow for these hotkeys, or is something else going on?

Are you using these hotkeys to try and control playback of tracks in your library or are you trying to skip to the next track on iTunes Radio?

Just tracks in my library (not even sure how to access iTunes Radio  :P )

Are any of the hotkeys working when you're showing the Mini Player? e.g. Ctrl + Cmd + up arrow for random tracks or Ctrl + Cmd + down arrow to play/pause?

It's possible that one or some hotkeys are clashing with either workflows you've created or any hotkeys you've set for features like OS X's Mission Control.

Let me know how you get on :)

Okay, I figured it out, should have realized it earlier: the problem is that I have Synergy running, and was trying to control the client computer with the shortcuts. Everything else works (the shortcuts on the server computer, the non-itunes hotkeys on the client computer, and the keyboard shortcuts in the itunes app itself).

Was able to just add a hotkey workflow as a workaround :) (Templates -> iTunes -> Next track from hotkey)

• 1 month later...

I still don't see how to access iTunes radio through the Mini Player.

iTunes Radio support is limited since there isn't an actual way for us to access it directly. The only iTunes Radio functionality available is to be able to get track info, play/pause, and skip to the next track. I know that sounds extremely basic but since the tracks are different since they are streaming rather than local, they have to be read/detected differently. Hopefully there will be a way to add more iTunes Radio functionality in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a total new comer to Alfred2. I've read as much info as I can find about "workflows" and would like to learn how to use them. Please advise.

Workflows simply provide you with a trigger (usually a keyword) for performing a specific type or search, running some script, or other actions. Alfred actually contains few examples. If you pop open Alfred's preferences, select the Workflows tab, and then click the + in bottom of the list on the left, select Examples, and then try selecting something like the Google Suggest workflow. This will install a new workflow in Alfred that is triggered by the keyword 'g'. It will allow you to get search suggestions from Google as you type. So, as a quick example, pop up Alfred, and type 'g alfred' (without the single quotes) and Alfred should show you a list of search suggestions provided by Google. 

This is a simple example of some of the things that Alfred can do. There are many other workflows that are far more complex and have tons of functionality built in.

If you need any more help, please let me know. I wasn't sure how much detail to include in this response but would be more than happy to help with anything you need.

Workflows simply provide you with a trigger (usually a keyword) for performing a specific type or search, running some script, or other actions. Alfred actually contains few examples. If you pop open Alfred's preferences, select the Workflows tab, and then click the + in bottom of the list on the left, select Examples, and then try selecting something like the Google Suggest workflow. This will install a new workflow in Alfred that is triggered by the keyword 'g'. It will allow you to get search suggestions from Google as you type. So, as a quick example, pop up Alfred, and type 'g alfred' (without the single quotes) and Alfred should show you a list of search suggestions provided by Google. 

This is a simple example of some of the things that Alfred can do. There are many other workflows that are far more complex and have tons of functionality built in.

If you need any more help, please let me know. I wasn't sure how much detail to include in this response but would be more than happy to help with anything you need.

Thanks for the information. I tried your example and it worked. 

What I had in mind is maybe some type of manual that I could read and brush up on. I am 71 years old and I've always learned new software by reading up on it and then trying the various examples. I guess I'm a little old school. Tutorials are also just as good if you can point me in the right direction. From what I've learned so far, Alfred2 is a great time saver and is very powerful.

Thanks for the information. I tried your example and it worked. 

What I had in mind is maybe some type of manual that I could read and brush up on. I am 71 years old and I've always learned new software by reading up on it and then trying the various examples. I guess I'm a little old school. Tutorials are also just as good if you can point me in the right direction. From what I've learned so far, Alfred2 is a great time saver and is very powerful.

Eh, you're still a young buck :) Take a peek here and see if this helps any more. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. That's what I'm here for. Hope you're having a good weekend