Create reminder in Reminders.app from Alfred

Thanks! I was just about to build a workflow around a simpler Reminders script I had written a while back, but I like the power of this one.

One suggestion/request -- write a confirmation to Notification Center or Growl. I just added a quick "Done!" using the Alfred workflow tools, but it would probably be better to do a real confirmation :)

I like this workflow very much!.

I have a question though when setting up certain reminders.  When I try to enter certain dates or times into the reminder, the result doesn't always reflect what I entered.

For example:

Setting up a reminder for @12pm, it instead shows up in the reminder as 12 am

Setting up a reminder for 2/1, it instead shows up in the reminder as 3/1  

Setting up a reminder for 4/1, it shows up as 5/1 instead. 

Here are some 2 example reminders I've tried:

rem pay electric bill $bills @2/1 3pm   (this action shows up in my bill reminders as 3/1 3pm -- --- wrong date, but with correct time)

rem send card to aunt $reminders @2/1 12pm (this action shows up in my reminders as tomorrow 12am  --   correct date, but wrong time)

Things I've tried to remedy this:  

--checked my date/time settings -- everything seems to be okay

--uninstalled/reinstalled workflow

--Tried switching named reminder accounts to "On My Mac" instead of "iCloud" but this didn't change anything

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. :)

rem pay electric bill $bills @2/1 3pm   (this action shows up in my bill reminders as 3/1 3pm -- --- wrong date, but with correct time

This works fine for me.

rem send card to aunt $reminders @2/1 12pm (this action shows up in my reminders as tomorrow 12am  --   correct date, but wrong time)

This was a bug in the time handling which has hopefully been corrected in this workflow http://cl.ly/0j3d3U1Y000x and in the link above on Github.

One suggestion/request -- write a confirmation to Notification Center or Growl. I just added a quick "Done!" using the Alfred workflow tools, but it would probably be better to do a real confirmation :)

Good idea. Done. 

I've also moved the workflow to github so the download link will always stay the same: https://github.com/mlgill/alfred-workflow-create-reminder

Because the previous two Cloud.app links contained Applescripts with bugs in them, I've deleted them. The link in this post should be the default from now on.

For the latest version (on GitHub), I'm getting an "There was an error creating the reminder" notification, and nothing is happening in my Reminders list. Let me see if there's anything in the logs...

Just deleted my current version, downloaded the git version via a zip file from Safari, and reinstalled. Tried a bunch of examples and they all worked fine for me.

• 1 month later...

This was working, and now it's not. I was having issues with my iMac before and had to install fresh, so not sure if it's my system or what.

Errors in console log

Mar 20 16:50:04 Liam-Whittles-iMac.local Reminders[3183]: _CGSLockWindow: Unable to lock window
Mar 20 16:50:04 Liam-Whittles-iMac.local Reminders[3183]: CGSLockWindowBackingStore
Mar 20 16:50:04 Liam-Whittles-iMac.local Reminders[3183]: __CGPixelAccessLockWindowAccess: access lock failed: error 1000

• 3 months later...

Very nice.

Is there any way to add tasks without needing timed alerts? For example I have a 'Shopping' list in Reminders where I add items, but don't want alerts for them (I check them off as and when I buy them).

• 1 month later...

I am trying to implement this with Alfred. Pulled the entire workflow down from github. I am getting the "There was an error creating the reminder" message. I have changed the default reminder list to "Inbox" which exists, and am trying simple things like "Test" or "Test $Inbox". Nothing is working.

Any ideas?

I am trying to implement this with Alfred. Pulled the entire workflow down from github. I am getting the "There was an error creating the reminder" message. I have changed the default reminder list to "Inbox" which exists, and am trying simple things like "Test" or "Test $Inbox". Nothing is working.

Any ideas?

I found the problem, it is when a date is not included. It appears that theDate never gets set. The on error condition has a commented out line to retry without the date. I had to uncomment that and add two other lines:

on error
			set newReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:reminderName, container:listName, body:reminderBody}
			set theReminderIDString to id of newReminder as string
			set theResultString to my get_reminder_data(theReminderIDString)
			-- set theResultString to "There was an error creating the reminder."
		end try

This got around the error and created the reminder. It also puts into the notification that the reminder is due on missing value. Have to fix that next.

I found the problem, it is when a date is not included. It appears that theDate never gets set. The on error condition has a commented out line to retry without the date. I had to uncomment that and add two other lines:

on error
			set newReminder to make new reminder with properties {name:reminderName, container:listName, body:reminderBody}
			set theReminderIDString to id of newReminder as string
			set theResultString to my get_reminder_data(theReminderIDString)
			-- set theResultString to "There was an error creating the reminder."
		end try

This got around the error and created the reminder. It also puts into the notification that the reminder is due on missing value. Have to fix that next.

Ok, I tested for 'missing value' on the notify and then did one of two notifications. That seems to have cleaned it up so everything is working well now.  Nice script overall though thanks!

• 1 month later...

Michelle, any way this workflow could check for updates? I've been using it for a long time, but with the release of the GM of Mavericks, it stopped working. It would be great if the workflow could check and see if you've updated it with new capabilities, etc., especially concurrent with an OS upgrade.

Great workflow! Many thanks for you efforts. 

• 6 months later...

Just some thoughts for other people. Not directly related to Alfred, but I took this wonderful script and added it to a TextWrangler front end to allow process each line from an open TW window. When I am on a call, I like to take notes in a text file. The script I put together just reads through each line of the top window and calls this script if it's a task. For people like me that live in text editors, it works very well and uses the same syntax as you are already doing with Alfred.