Sleep display

Tomo

Yeah, I tested Dockables too and it works fine, but as sphardy correctly pointed out, it's future is questionable.
I don't know how these utilities are written, but to my knowledge it's not just AppleScript, so I question their future without proper support.

Yeah, I tested Dockables too and it works fine, but as sphardy correctly pointed out, it's future is questionable.

I don't know how these utilities are written, but to my knowledge it's not just AppleScript, so I question their future without proper support.

As far as I can tell, they're all very simple one-line commands made available by Apple (like the ones baked into Alfred) except for the Sleep Display one. From my research (ie. Google) the Sleep Display one is kind of a hack that involves (AFAIK) setting the display sleep timeout to zero and then forcing a re-read of those settings etc. It's ugly, but Apple never provided a simple way to do this, and hence why it's not in Alfred, I would think. I imagine all these various utilities are using a variant of this same hack, and it's probably the best we'll get for now.

Short URL to the above image is: http://note.io/X5GM72 - gets accepted perfectly fine in the edit dialog, showing the image. The error message is generated on Post.

I guess it doesn't check the forwarding URL and sees /X5GM72 - which doesn't end in .jpg, .png, etc... Sorry, not much we can do about this :)

The method Carlos suggested doesn't work either. I actually looked into this for a bit last night. The method he's suggesting is typically executed using pmset. Using pmset, you can set the timeout before the display sleeps. The down side of this is, the value passed is integer minutes. Setting it to zero as Carlos suggested disables the feature. The lowest possible value is 1 (minute).

I looked into Applescript methods for doing this. You can't simulate a keystroke for the Eject key, so that doesn't work.

Once again, I would simply recommend Sleep Display (linked above). Just because something hasn't been updated in a while doesn't mean that it's going to stop working sometime really soon. Also, it's not as if OS X is updated weekly. 

I agree with your points.

The reason I suggested the feature was because I'm trying to find a developer that would actively support it and Alfred seemed like the tool where that feature might make sense. I realize that makes me sound egotistical, but I do believe that there are people that would find legitimate use for that feature.

I wasn't however, aware of the underlying complexity...

FYI - you can use KeyRemap4MacBook to remap the eject key and then use AppleScript to trigger the new key. (Despite the silly name, it's not just for Macbooks).

I've had KR4M installed for a while now (to give me a forward-delete key), but I never actually realised quite how powerful it can be. In fact, I daresay that pretty much every hotkey related feature request I've seen on this board could be achieved with it.