Launching/switching files (apps) with keyboard shortcut should be *instant*

Hi,

I'm now running both Alfred and Butler, because I have almost my whole keyboard bound with app-launching/switching shortcuts. In Alfred the function has a one second delay. Butler is instant. I use the keyboard shortcuts hundreds of times every day so the delay makes this feature unusable in Alfred.

How about getting rid of the delay? Shouldn't be hard? :-)

Cheers,

Harri

Hi,

I'm now running both Alfred and Butler, because I have almost my whole keyboard bound with app-launching/switching shortcuts. In Alfred the function has a one second delay. Butler is instant. I use the keyboard shortcuts hundreds of times every day so the delay makes this feature unusable in Alfred.

How about getting rid of the delay? Shouldn't be hard? :-)

Cheers,

Harri

Hi Harri, you can speed up hotkeys by popping up the configuration for it in your workflow, right-clicking and choosing "Pass through modifier keys (fastest)"

The default setting is marginally slower in order to be most compatible with all apps.

faster_hotkey_triggers.png

WOW! I never would have thought to right-click the input box... It works perfectly now!

This makes my life easier. I use three different Macs (one with two separate accounts) and keeping my interface settings in sync manually is a pain... Alfred's automatic sync helps a lot and now I can have my shortcuts always automagically synced too! Thank you so much :-)

• 1 year later...

Is there any way to make "Pass through modifier keys" default?

The reason I didn't make this the default is that it can have some weird unpredictable affects. A good example of this is if you setup a hotkey to launch iTunes or iPhoto which includes alt in the combo, then this mod key is passed through to these apps and they will be launched with a dialog to select an alternative library.

I'll add a note to consider what I can do with this for the future, but it will definitely be more obvious of an option!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 7 months later...

Andrew, has anything been added in v.3 to either default to "pass through modifier keys", or to change a whole bunch of workflows to this in one swoop (not individually configure each one, one at a time)?

The reason I didn't make this the default is that it can have some weird unpredictable affects. A good example of this is if you setup a hotkey to launch iTunes or iPhoto which includes alt in the combo, then this mod key is passed through to these apps and they will be launched with a dialog to select an alternative library.

I'll add a note to consider what I can do with this for the future, but it will definitely be more obvious of an option!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Andrew, has anything been added in v.3 to either default to "pass through modifier keys", or to change a whole bunch of workflows to this in one swoop (not individually configure each one, one at a time)?

Hi Jim,

It's not possible to modify workflows globally, but the option has been made more obvious with the new teal icon on the right of hotkey fields:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/workflows/triggers/hotkey/#tips

It may not be wise to blanket-change all workflows, as some hotkey combos would cause unwanted behaviour (e.g. using a hotkey combo containing Alt to launch an app which gives you the ability to choose alternative libraries like Photos, iTunes, etc, could result in seeing the "libraries" pop-up instead of simply launching the app), so it's best reviewed on a case-by-case basis if needed as hotkeys are still extremely quick even in default mode.

Cheers,

Vero