Move focus to the menu bar sometimes doesn't work when opening a program

I see that sometimes the shortcut CTRL+F2 "Move focus to menu bar" is not working and I have to cycle to every opened application to find in which one it works. When I find it, then it starts working again also for other apps. It seems the problem can be Alfred (v2.6 built 374).

I made this simple check that I repeated several times with different apps:

• Quit All Apps, so only Finder is actually opened.
  • Press CTRL+F2... it works
  • Open a program with Alfred (i.e. Safari)
  • Press CTRL+F2 in Safari... NOT working
  • Quit All Apps to be sure only Finder is running
  • Open Safari using the icon in the Dock
  • Press CTRL+F2 in Safari... It's working

I'm using OS X 10.10.2.

Thanks

I see that sometimes the shortcut CTRL+F2 "Move focus to menu bar" is not working and I have to cycle to every opened application to find in which one it works. When I find it, then it starts working again also for other apps. It seems the problem can be Alfred (v2.6 built 374).

Thanks

I can reproduce this, but there isn't anything I could change in Alfred to affect this behaviour and I suspect that it could be an OS X bug (as Alfred simply asks OS X to launch an app and doesn't actually fettle with the focus subsystem at all).

I can offer an alternative shortcut which seems to be consistently reliable. If you use cmd+shift+? it opens the help search menu (with the focus up at the menu). This also gives you the advantage of then being able to simply search for the menu item you are looking for instead of having to navigate to it with the arrow keys.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Andrew

• 8 years later...