Alfred doesn't see OPML files even when added as file type

When I manually add OPML files to Alfred's file type search list, Alfred does not see them.

However, if I tell Alfred to "Search all file types," the OPML files are visible.

So the problem is not the files themselves.

I have tried removing and re-adding OPML files to Alfred's file type search list to no avail.

When I manually add OPML files to Alfred's file type search list, Alfred does not see them.

However, if I tell Alfred to "Search all file types," the OPML files are visible.

So the problem is not the files themselves.

I have tried removing and re-adding OPML files to Alfred's file type search list to no avail.

Hi Jack,

Where are the OPML files you're searching for? Make sure they're in a location included in Alfred's search scope too :)

Also, sometimes what appears to be one file type can be multiple ones. For example, Markdown files can be .markdown or .md, so check whether the OPML files you find are of the same type as the one you've added.

That being said, the less file types you add to Alfred's default search scope, the better the results will be, so is this something that would be better suited to creating a file filter workflow? Here's a tutorial on creating a file filter: http://support.alfredapp.com/tutorials:file-filter-workflow

It takes just a minute to create and helps focus your searches so much more! Let me know if you need a hand creating your workflow :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Jack,

Where are the OPML files you're searching for? Make sure they're in a location included in Alfred's search scope too :)

Thanks, Vero. I had added the immediate parent folder, and there was no change.

Also, sometimes what appears to be one file type can be multiple ones. For example, Markdown files can be .markdown or .md, so check whether the OPML files you find are of the same type as the one you've added.

Yes, they are the same. I dragged the specific file I was looking for into the file type window.

That being said, the less file types you add to Alfred's default search scope, the better the results will be, so is this something that would be better suited to creating a file filter workflow? Here's a tutorial on creating a file filter: http://support.alfredapp.com/tutorials:file-filter-workflow

It takes just a minute to create and helps focus your searches so much more! Let me know if you need a hand creating your workflow :)

Cheers,

Vero

Thanks. I'm really not looking for this type of solution. I'm not having performance solutions and just want the basic functionality to work as expected. Thanks, though!

Edited by jackbrannen

Thanks, Vero. I had added the immediate parent folder, and there was no change.

Yes, they are the same. I dragged the specific file I was looking for into the file type window.

Thanks. I'm really not looking for this type of solution. I'm not having performance solutions and just want the basic functionality to work as expected. Thanks, though!

Could you please download the metadata tool below and drop in one of your OPML files, and copy the output in your reply:

Also, could you include a screenshot of the file types you've added in the Advanced button, in the Default Results section?

Cheers,
Vero :)

Could you please download the metadata tool below and drop in one of your OPML files, and copy the output in your reply:

Also, could you include a screenshot of the file types you've added in the Advanced button, in the Default Results section?

Cheers,
Vero :)

Hi Vero,

Thanks. The output is below. And here's an image of my file things: http://i58.tinypic.com/13yp2iw.jpg
/Users/jack/Dropbox (PracticeLink)/Resource Library/Reference/PRJ Templates/PRJ Circulation Report.opml

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: PRJ Circulation Report
    Alt Names: PRJ Circulation Report.opml
    File Type: org.opml.opml
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "PRJ Circulation Report.opml"
)
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2015-03-25 14:08:28 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2015-03-30 15:27:26 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "org.opml.opml"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "org.opml.opml",
    "public.xml",
    "public.text",
    "public.data",
    "public.item",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2015-03-26 12:59:35 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "PRJ Circulation Report"
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2015-03-30 15:27:26 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2015-03-25 14:08:28 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 16
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 1
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "PRJ Circulation Report.opml"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = (null)
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 5245
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "OPML1.0 (.opml)"
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 5245
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 12288

What exactly is Alfred showing in the File Types list for your OPML document?

There are a good few apps that make a real mess of OPML support on your system (Cloud Outliner is particularly naughty).

Downcast has coopted my OPML files. Think that could be the issue? Seems like Alfred should see it regardless of what file type it is.

Downcast has coopted my OPML files. Think that could be the issue? Seems like Alfred should see it regardless of what file type it is.

That does appear to be the problem. Alfred should recognise the file regardless, but the system can get confused if multiple apps declare conflicting UTIs for the same filetype, which is what's happened here.

As your mdls metadata shows, it thinks your OPML file has a type of org.opml.opml (from the line kMDItemContentType = "org.opml.opml"). This is the correct UTI.

Downcast, unfortunately and incorrectly, declares OPML files as being of the type downcast.opml, which is what Alfred has picked up on.

As Alfred won't let you edit its File List by hand, the way I normally fix this (this happens with Markdown files a lot, too) is to open the workflow's info.plist file and manually change the UTI, i.e. change downcast.opml to org.opml.opml.

It'd probably be a good idea to file a bug report with Downcast. The correct UTI is org.opml.opml and Downcast is causing the problem by clobbering this with its custom, wrong UTI.

Edited by deanishe

As Alfred won't let you edit its File List by hand, the way I normally fix this (this happens with Markdown files a lot, too) is to open the workflow's info.plist file and manually change the UTI, i.e. change downcast.opml to org.opml.opml.

Sounds good to me. But this isn't part of a workflow. Where do I find the plist file?

Thanks!

Uninstalling an application should remove its UTIs from the system, but it won't immediately affect the metadata database used by Spotlight/mdls/Alfred because these data are cached. You have to rebuild the Spotlight database for it to update the cached UTIs.

There's a simple command-line app here that you can pass a file extension (e.g. opml) and it will tell you what the UTI is.

Alternatively, for a quick check, you can force reindexing of one file and then see what its UTI is in Terminal:

# reindex file
mdimport path/to/file.opml
# show UTI
mdls -name kMDItemContentType -raw path/to/file.opml
Edited by deanishe

Also, it might be necessary to rebuild your LaunchServices database to make sure the app is properly unregistered. Paste this into Terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -f -domain local -domain system -domain user