Keyword: action

According to the cheatsheet, there is a keyword "action", that will: "Show list of available Actions for selected Finder item".

It doesn't seem to work...? I've looked everywhere in the preferences to make sure I haven't disabled it or something, but I can't find it there.

Maybe I've understood the use case wrong? It doesn't seem to do a thing. Just goes to fallbacks.

Alfred%20action%20keyword.png?raw=1

Edited by joonas

Did not work for me either at first.

Have a look in Alfred's preferences and under 'File Search' there is an Actions button. Click on it.

From there you can see the default actions. Take note of the hotkey down the bottom. Mine is "option+command+right arrow"

Then from the Alfred search bar, type in a file name and use down arrow to highlight the file you want then use the hotkey to bring up the actions for that file.

But there may be an easier way.

EDIT: noticed Andrew answered a similar post a couple of days ago. Looks like you press the fn key during a file search to bring up the actions.

Edited by Colin

According to the cheatsheet, there is a keyword "action", that will: "Show list of available Actions for selected Finder item".

It doesn't seem to work...? I've looked everywhere in the preferences to make sure I haven't disabled it or something, but I can't find it there.

Maybe I've understood the use case wrong? It doesn't seem to do a thing. Just goes to fallbacks.

Thanks for pointing this out! Due to changes to OS X and Finder, the "action" keyword became unreliable some time ago.

Andrew changed the way the file selection was handled, which made it much more reliable and added the ability to handle multiple files at once. The side effect is that the "action" keyword was taken out. I've now updated the cheatsheet to reflect that.

Did not work for me either at first.

Have a look in Alfred's preferences and under 'File Search' there is an Actions button. Click on it.

From there you can see the default actions. Take note of the hotkey down the bottom. Mine is "option+command+right arrow"

Then from the Alfred search bar, type in a file name and use down arrow to highlight the file you want then use the hotkey to bring up the actions for that file.

But there may be an easier way.

EDIT: noticed Andrew answered a similar post a couple of days ago. Looks like you press the fn key during a file search to bring up the actions.

What I was after is slightly different.

Thanks for pointing this out! Due to changes to OS X and Finder, the "action" keyword became unreliable some time ago.

Andrew changed the way the file selection was handled, which made it much more reliable and added the ability to handle multiple files at once. The side effect is that the "action" keyword was taken out. I've now updated the cheatsheet to reflect that.

Alrighty.

4TKvdn2.png

Very handy shortcut.

I do use that, but I also happen to use an incredibly mixed bag of methods depending on the situation... or something. I wanted to use this keyword in a situation where I've made the mistake of opening Alfred with the normal hotkey. I would've liked it if I could've just continued writing "action" and hit Enter to get to the file actions. Now, while not incredibly big deal, I need to Esc out of the regular Alfred window and use the hotkey properly this time. Just seems like unnecessary backtracking, considering the window is already open.

I guess the solution is to just remember to press the right hotkey.

Edited by joonas