Issues with indexing /Applications

Fundamentally, Alfred needs the Spotlight index to do its thing.

It does keep its own cache of applications, however, so you could try entering "reload" in Alfred to rebuild its list of applications.

I'm not sure if that can help a great deal if the underlying Spotlight index is borked.

My mds server has serious issues and so what ends up happening is that I have many apps which don't get indexed. Is there any way to get around this to add them anyway? Or does it have to rely on the spotlight database?

Launch Alfred's prefs to the Advanced tab, click "Rebuild OS X Metadata" and make sure you also check the box for "Delete /.Spotlight-V100" so that OS X really starts the reindex from scratch. Make sure that after you've typed your password (characters won't appear as you type), the Terminal window tells you that the indexing has started and doesn't display any error messages.

Leave it to run to completion (can take an hour on average) and type "reload" into Alfred to refresh the application cache.  This is a more thorough reindex and should resolve any corruption issue within your index which could have caused mds to run away when it shouldn't.

If you're still having issues, can you check that the apps you're looking for are indeed stored in your Applications folder (e.g. that they are not aliases of apps stored somewhere else), etc and give us more details so we can help further.

Cheers,

Vero