How to compress folder of snippets

I exported somebody else's large list of snippets in order to edit them. I decompressed the snippets file and ran a batch edit on the individual json files. I tried compressing to zip and to tgz and renaming to *.alfredsnippets. When I import it the file is empty of snippets.

Is there a way to do what I need? I wanted to strip out the leading and trailing spaces from the CommonMisSpelling snippet pack created by user raguay.customct.

I suspect when you are re-compressing, you are keeping the parent folder containing json files, rather than just a zip of json files.

The easiest way to zip in a format compatible with Alfred directly from Finder is to go into the folder, select all the json files, right click and select "Compress x items". You can then rename the .zip to .alfredsnippets.

If you'd like to compress from the command line, Alfred uses the following:

ditto --norsrc -ck SnippetsSrcFolder CollectionName.alfredsnippets

Where SnippetsSrcFolder is the folder containing all the json files.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I suspect when you are re-compressing, you are keeping the parent folder containing json files, rather than just a zip of json files.

Your assumption was correct. I have now successfully compressed and imported. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

The easiest way to zip in a format compatible with Alfred directly from Finder is to go into the folder, select all the json files, right click and select "Compress x items". You can then rename the .zip to .alfredsnippets.

If you'd like to compress from the command line, Alfred uses the following:

ditto --norsrc -ck SnippetsSrcFolder CollectionName.alfredsnippets

Where SnippetsSrcFolder is the folder containing all the json files.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I find out in each .json file there is a "uid" prop, what's the use of "uid"? How can I generate the uid? Can I generate the uid on my own thougth some kind of program?

Look forward to your reply

mixj93

Edited by mixj93