Alfred dismisses workflow

I have no idea why but when using my workflow whenever I try to use 'web' or 'images' or anything but 'reddit', it simply dismisses when it shouldn't do that.

But if I go to alfred and use the workflow, it works. :( 

Here is a screencast with the issue demonstrated: http://quick.as/qa6rHd5kr 

I hope you can replicate it because I really rely on this workflow and I have no idea why this happens. Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, nikivi said:

I am pretty sure this will come back again, perhaps something is happening with cache?

At this point, this is pure speculation. Until you can reliably reproduce the error, there’s not much to be done.

It's gratifying to see that you've finally remembered to post your workflow instead of just a recording of it.

OTOH, this workflow is disturbingly similar your last "mindmaps" workflow and is broken in exactly the same way, which I showed you precisely how to fix.

My guess is that the problem is related to the issue you had with the previous workflow: you simply have far too many elements being run simultaneously.

The entire design is bonkers. You have OneUpdater connected to a trigger that never fires. You have an empty (i.e. does nothing) Args & Vars after every Filter. You have 18 identical Open URL actions instead of one.

The last time you posted a version of this workflow, I showed you exactly how to build it using one List Filter and one Script Filter. 

Why have you built it like this when you've been shown how to do it properly and you already know that trying to run so many actions at the same time causes issues?

Why didn't you build a single List Filter containing filepaths in arg and then connect that to a single Script Filter exactly like I showed you last time?

I give up, tbh.

Why is OneUpdater never firing? I thought it was attached to an external trigger so it would be called with every call of it. At least I thought it to be this way, I will move it to fire from list filter itself from now on. 

And yeah I remember your help, it's just here I was not reading information from files, I just generate my .csv, update one of those list filters on the other end and that's it. 

I have no idea why I haven't though of moving everything to files and reading the files instead. Oh and that empty Args & Vars is a hack that @vitorproposed so I don't pass the query into a list filter. I am just really bad at designing workflows, sorry about this. I really try to learn from my mistakes. 

Will move the workflow to read from files instead, I hope that fixes it. And @deanishe, you don't have to help, I would understand it if you don't. Thank you nevertheless. 

Trying to convert it now, that example you have with 'non crazy mindmaps' reads a markdown. I have a .csv separates in a way List Filter likes. Is there a nice way to read that neatly similar to list filter or I have to 'grep' extract things and modify things with sed just to get it working. I thought having that .csv would help in this scenario but since I am no longer using list filters, I don't know.

Here is an updated workflow I am working on which hopefully has OneUpdater working too. 

Edited by nikivi
15 hours ago, nikivi said:

Why is OneUpdater never firing? I thought it was attached to an external trigger so it would be called with every call of it.

But the workflow never calls the external trigger.

markdown. I have a .csv separates in a way List Filter likes

That's an implementation detail, not relevant to the general principle.

Instead of 18 List Filters, use a single Script Filter that turns the CSV file into Alfred's JSON format. Or better yet, generate JSON files instead of CSV to begin with and just use cat "$1" in your Script Filter.

Is there a nice way to read that neatly similar to list filter or I have to 'grep' extract things and modify things with sed just to get it working

Yes. Use a proper programming language instead of esoteric and hard-to-understand command-line utilities. It's almost impossible to generate JSON properly from a shell. Just use a language that has a proper library for it.

Thank you @deanishe

12 minutes ago, deanishe said:

Instead of 18 List Filters, use a single Script Filter that turns the CSV file into Alfred's JSON format. Or better yet, generate JSON files instead of CSV to begin with and just use cat "$1" in your Script Filter.

I will try that. Shame though, I wrote my md to csv parser and was quite happy to see it working. Will need to write another one to go from that markdown to JSON I suppose. Problem is, I found JSON Alfred output quite confusing to work with. But I can try.

2 minutes ago, nikivi said:

I found JSON Alfred output quite confusing to work with.

It's an extremely simple format, providing you're using a language with JSON support.

If you're not, you aren't writing Alfred JSON, you're writing a JSON library, which isn't a simple thing to do.