Help for a basic workflow

Hello,  a bit of newbie help needed if possible.

I've got a simple workflow that takes the contents of the clipboard and searches a website.

The workflow works fine but after showing the result, my keyboard and computer flips out and I have to restart.

I searched around and found this from 2015 -  but after setting the scripts, the same thing still happens.

Feels like I'm doing something stupid and I can't figure it out.

Any help would be really appreciated.

We can’t properly help you without access to your Workflow.

Debugging can already be hard with access to the code, and you’re asking us to guess yours from a description. There are multiple places where you code or Workflow setup may be going wrong. Without looking at it we’re shooting in the dark, which is a waste of time for everyone involved (including you).

Read the Reporting Problems with Workflows topic, as it gives a nice overview on how to build an effective report.

You Workflow doesn’t even have custom code, so I see nothing that could be causing that. This means it’s highly likely there’s something else causing the lock up, not Alfred.

Have you tried setting the Workflow to a different keyboard shortcut?

I did say it was a simple workflow ;)

14 minutes ago, vitor said:

Have you tried setting the Workflow to a different keyboard shortcut?

Yes, tried lots of different keyboard shortcuts using different modifiers.

The issue happens across 2 macs I use and it happened on a different workflow I download a while back which I deleted thinking that was the problem. It was only after creating my own and searching around discovered it seems to a control key issue.

The issue is perfectly described in the beginning of the thread I mentioned above.

@threezerotwo I've had a look at your workflow; Under the hotkey trigger, you've set "Related apps" to only work when Excel is in focus. Was that intentional?

If you remove Excel from the Related Apps tab, your workflow will work globally as expected. :)

Cheers,
Vero

On 28/07/2017 at 3:40 PM, threezerotwo said:

Yes, tried lots of different keyboard shortcuts using different modifiers.

Which modifiers exactly? And do you have any other programs running that fiddle with what keys do (e.g. Karabiner Elements or BetterTouchTool)?

It seems extremely unlikely that this is an issue with Alfred.

@threezerotwo Yep, workflow works absolutely fine, and looks completely standard. As per @deanishe's questions, it's likely to be an external factor, such as keyboard modifiers, causing a mix-up.

You mentioned you're using Alfred 3.4.1; Just in case you're using this workflow on more than one Mac and one is on an older version, make sure you update to 3.4.1, as LinkedIn changed their URL structure fairly recently, and we updated accordingly.

Could you provide more details if the above doesn't help?

- What hotkeys are you setting?

- Are you using any third-party keyboard modifiers?

- What's in your clipboard at the time of using the hotkey?

- What behaviour are you seeing? Nothing launching at all (e.g. hearing the error sound?), browser not loading the correct page, etc? 

The more info you provide, the easier we can help you work out what's happening :)

Cheers,
Vero