Apps Not Shown in Search Results in 10.15

playmakerx

5 hours ago, Nazzaro said:

@Vero hmmmm it appears that launching the application once by double clicking in the Finder is doing the trick.  Launching from Spotlight will not do it.  I've successfully tested this with 7 applications.  Thank you!

I can confirm that this method works to add individual applications to Alfred search results.

Odd issue here - I have tried all of these steps and have the issue that some app are seen and launch, some are not. One odd thing that is happening per the image

As you can see I seem to have some looping going on in my files hierarchy (Finder) and Alfred when the path is loaded renames Macintosh HD -> Data

None of the files in this directory launch.

k9w45f.jpg

Edited by IanAndyR

I also had the same problem discussed here. After opening applications like "Excel", I could find it in Alfred; but typing "Word" in Alfred yielded no results, as I haven't opened it since I've reinstalled the OS.

For me, running the following command did the trick:

sudo mdutil -E /Applications/ -v

On 7/14/2019 at 4:42 AM, Vero said:

@Nazzaro If you launch Spotify once manually, then take a look in Alfred, can you then find it? It seems something is still amiss with the index, as Alfred returns results from the macOS index, and this may be enough to force macOS to correctly include it in results.

This fixed it for me as well.

On 7/14/2019 at 2:37 PM, Nazzaro said:

@Vero hmmmm it appears that launching the application once by double clicking in the Finder is doing the trick.  Launching from Spotlight will not do it.  I've successfully tested this with 7 applications.  Thank you!

I had the same problem and this worked for me also, Nazzaro. Thank you.

I've reported this to Apple through their feedback assistant, and I'd appreciate if others can do the same as then it's more likely to be fixed.

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/

My Apple bug number is FB6850941 which includes an easy reproducible case using mdutil and mdfind (to help confirm that the issue is outside of Alfred), so it may be worth referencing that bug number in your report.

I'll also be working on a "back up plan" for Alfred to manually index the Applications folder in Catalina if they don't get this issue fixed.

Appreciated!

Andrew

On 7/14/2019 at 9:37 AM, Nazzaro said:

Such weird behavior. Confirming the same thing here. None of the applications in /Applications are findable in Alfred unless I open them once manually before hand. Confirmed with Firefox, Sketch and Sublime Text just now. At least I see a workaround, it's been quite maddening. Thank you.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, LucTeo said:

I also had the same problem discussed here. After opening applications like "Excel", I could find it in Alfred; but typing "Word" in Alfred yielded no results, as I haven't opened it since I've reinstalled the OS.

For me, running the following command did the trick:

sudo mdutil -E /Applications/ -v

confirmed to work after most of the other options here did not do much. Thank you @LucTeo